Topic: Question about DSD in USB-CC multi-channel mode

HI All,

Sonically, the ADI-2 Pro is marvellous! I'm using it with Pyramix, Wavelab and JRiver MediaCenter for mastering purposes.

In USB multi-channel mode, when attempting to use USB output 3/4 for DSD64 playback (via the 3/4 headphone output,) all I hear is low-level white noise, modulated with some of the desired signal.

If I switch the source of the 3/4 headphone output to USB-out 1/2 (of course also switching the output of J-River MediaCenter to match) then I can properly listen to the DSD64 signal.

I cannot see any entry in the manual saying that DSD64 output is limited to the USB 1/2 output (in the USB CC multi-channel mode.)

Using the latest firmware 141/80. Also curious to know if we can have a 'simple' 2-in/4-out DSD256 USB mode without all of the DSP bells and whistles; just straight conversion? Right now, I couldn't even achieve this with two ADI-2 Pro, due to Windows limitations (no aggregation of multiple USB interafces.)

Thanks for your time,

Graemme

Zen Mastering
Vancouver, Canada

Re: Question about DSD in USB-CC multi-channel mode

> I cannot see any entry in the manual saying that DSD64 output is limited to the USB 1/2 output (in the USB CC multi-channel mode.)

That is true. Using DSD in that mode you will notice that a DSD playback on output 1/2 automatically routes that signal on 3/4  and AES/SPDIF as well, and the input source of Phones 3/4 switched between 1/2 and 3/4 monitoring having the same signal. In other words: Multichannel mode is more or less overwritten with the behavior of DSD in Stereo mode.

We saw it as a matter of convenience to not disable DSD64 in Multichannel mode, so the user does not have to switch the Basic mode all the time. But DSD playback is limited to USB channels 1/2, a playback on channels 3/4 will not activate the DSD functionality.

> Using the latest firmware 141/80

The latest firmware is 144/81.

> Also curious to know if we can have a 'simple' 2-in/4-out DSD256 USB mode without all of the DSP bells and whistles

That will not come, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME