Topic: Help with Fireface UC Glitches

Hi, Hoping someone can help me with this and sorry if the same problem has already been discussed, I've looked through various topics on here and elsewhere related to Fireface UC + glitches but I can't be sure they are related to the same problem I am having;

I have a ff uc card running usb with a lenovo T400 lap top w/win 7.  I use it with Ableton live, wav editor and odd other music software but I also leave it running if I'm just streaming music online or watching youtube etc. also playing CDs & Wavs. For the last few weeks I've noticed if I'm playing back something with one of the above I keep getting lots of glitches, small pops and gaps in the sound, mainly when I use the mouse on anything else, ie open a new browser window, adjust the youtube volume..anything really.  If i don't touch the pc the audio generally plays back without a problem until I go to do something.. although I have noticed the odd pop here and there. watching a video online has recently become awful either way, if I use the mouse or not..

I've had this set up for 5+ years or so and never had this problem, although I did have to send it back to sythax at one point for some kind of chip repair when the whole thing went down.

I've also tried it with my desktop PC which is a lenovo thinkcentre with win 7 and it has the same problem making me think it could be the RME

thanks in advance for any help with this! Richard

2 (edited by fiddler2007 2017-07-06 08:10:22)

Re: Help with Fireface UC Glitches

IMO something to do with USB, check cables, change USB port, remove and reinstall drivers, update win 7, change graphics settings as remove gamer accelerations etc, even the virus killer and/or firewall can be hampering drive access on reading or writing, specially with external USB ..

My findings with Windows 10 64 bit on a standalone self-built PC:

fiddler2007 wrote:

Re: UFX crashing windows 10 on firewire - interface startup sequence

UFX and windows 7 64 ran perfect on my ASUS x99 with a VIA 1394a OCHI compliant firewire card. When i changed to Windows 10 64bit nothing but problems, occasionally recognized, more often not. Legacy drivers wouldn't work either, and i had to use USB. I was told a Texas Instruments PCIe card with both 1394a AND b (Firewire 800) should work, but these cards usually cost around $40. I then decided to exchange my UFX for an UFX ii, which works OK with windows 10, BUT not quite well with the motherboards' ASMedia USB chips. A PCIe USB 3.0 card i had with NEC (Renessas today) chips does.

UPDATE: after quite a while i had dropouts again, and shortly after they turned into the pulsating distorted sound i had before. After removing and  reinstalling all my PCs' USB drivers for the present hardware, BOTH ASmedia Root USB hub, and ASmedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller drivers, it worked again. The UFX ii however still was connected to another PCIe USB 3.0 port with a NEC chip (Renesas eXtensible Host Controller USB 3.0).

UPDATE 2: Updated my ATI graphics drivers, choosing the elementary version, removed Bitdefender 2017 Total security and it's firewall. Installed 360 TS and Zonealarm free ... and my problems now seem to be over. - F

horsehead wrote:

I've also tried it with my desktop PC which is a lenovo thinkcentre with win 7 and it has the same problem making me think it could be the RME

--- just the USB cable or power suppy??

Re: Help with Fireface UC Glitches

Thanks for your reply smile 

I'll try the USB cable maybe.. It does it on both my PCs which is why I don't think it is a windows problem.. although I have windows updates turned off on both machines, would that maybe affect it?

as for drivers, I thought the unit installed its drivers with the USB.. would that be a firmware update? thanks again. Rich