Topic: Firewire and Message Signaled-Based Interrupts

When switching to MSI mode on my Firewire Startech VIA controller the UCX was not detected anymore, but the Firewire controller was detected and everything was good in windows.

RME support, can you confirm if this is a RME driver issue or something else?

Re: Firewire and Message Signaled-Based Interrupts

This seems to be a PCI thing, i.e. between the Firewire card and the mainboard. Detection of devices connected to the FW controller is not a matter of the driver.
Does it work fine in non-MSI mode?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes it does work in non-MSI mode. Reason to try MSI mode is latency and to avoid irq sharing. Have you ever tried running a Firewire device thru a MSI mode enabled card, is it even possible?

Tnx :-)

> Yes it does work in non-MSI mode.

I doubt so. The fact that it is listed in the device manager does not mean it supports and can use MSI. And here it seems it can't.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The funny thing is that the card gets an address and everything... But as you said, it still does not work. I will send an email to support at startech and see what they say. Thanks :-)

Got a bluescreen after configuring SATA drivers to MSI. On my system a lot of driver use already MSI.
Maybe one should fiddle around with this only IF there are issues (Shared IRQs / Conflicts) that need to be solved.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by Timur Born 2017-07-10 12:31:29)

Keep in mind that IRQ sharing is mostly only an issue if a driver, hardware or OS function misbehaves.