Topic: Fireface UCX sudden death?

Hello,

I have been a happy ucx-user for about 4 years. Have used the interface mainly via firewire 400-800-cable (macbook pro mid 2010, current os 10.11.2).

This morning I used the ucx in Ableton Live (9.6.1) at location and it was working fine. The connections made were firewire to the macbook pro and 1/2 out + midi in1. It worked just fine.

1 hour later back in the studio I connected the interface via firewire once again. When I booted up the red HOST-light stayed on. Could not detect the interface in Ableton Live anymore (still 9.6.1).

Tried shutting down - reconnecting firewire cable - booting up. The issue was still there. Also I tried playing an instrument into input 1 and the green light was flashing to indicate that the signal was coming in, if this is of any relevance.

I shut down, unpluged the firewire and booted via USB and ext. power supply. The red HOST-light now went OFF when the machine had booted. Downloaded driver 3.29 and installed, rebooted. Then downloaded usb flash tool 1.27 and started. This stated that the current USB-version was 26, but all 3 other (fw, class compliant and the last which I don't remember) said "current revision 0.00".

Checked the "flash all"-button and pressed update. Nothing happened. Pressed 100 times, rebooted and did the same, nothing happened.

Any thoughts?

All the best,
Benjamin Mørk

Re: Fireface UCX sudden death?

The flash tool will only work with a USB connection and driver.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes, the interface was connected via USB and the flash tool stated that it had a USB-driver installed, version 26. But it did not work. And the interface did not show up in my DAW with USB.

How can I troubleshoot further?

Regards,
Benjamin Mørk

You wrote "Downloaded driver 3.29 and installed, rebooted" - 3.29 is a Firewire driver...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok, installing the newest USB-driver and then running the flash tool resolved this issue.

Thank you!

Regards,
Benjamin Mørk

benjamin.mork wrote:

Hello,

I have been a happy ucx-user for about 4 years. Have used the interface mainly via firewire 400-800-cable (macbook pro mid 2010, current os 10.11.2).

This morning I used the ucx in Ableton Live (9.6.1) at location and it was working fine. The connections made were firewire to the macbook pro and 1/2 out + midi in1. It worked just fine.

1 hour later back in the studio I connected the interface via firewire once again. When I booted up the red HOST-light stayed on. Could not detect the interface in Ableton Live anymore (still 9.6.1).

Tried shutting down - reconnecting firewire cable - booting up. The issue was still there. Also I tried playing an instrument into input 1 and the green light was flashing to indicate that the signal was coming in, if this is of any relevance.

I shut down, unpluged the firewire and booted via USB and ext. power supply. The red HOST-light now went OFF when the machine had booted. Downloaded driver 3.29 and installed, rebooted. Then downloaded usb flash tool 1.27 and started. This stated that the current USB-version was 26, but all 3 other (fw, class compliant and the last which I don't remember) said "current revision 0.00".

Checked the "flash all"-button and pressed update. Nothing happened. Pressed 100 times, rebooted and did the same, nothing happened.

Any thoughts?

All the best,
Benjamin Mørk

My RME FireFace UCX turn on when firewire plug in wiyh no power cord and switch turned off, os it a defect ?

No, that's normal.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME