Topic: Fireface 400 not working correctly on MacBook with Sierra

Hi!

My old computer recently crashed so I tried to install my Fireface 400 on my MacBook Air 2014. Bought two adapters, thunderbolt to firewire 800, and then 800 to 400.

I installed the drivers from the website. The computer seems to talk with the interface, but there's only noise coming out from the monitor jack, and I'm unable to get any signal from any plugged in mic or so.

Someone knows what's wrong?

Re: Fireface 400 not working correctly on MacBook with Sierra

You need to use the FF400 with an external power supply, and the switch on the back in the right position.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I do so! The interface is lit up as usual. I have the switch on "ext" i think it's called. Not "bus".

What is TotalMix showing?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Well, if I play like spotify it gets a signal to software playback AN 1/2 and hardware output AN 1/2. Unable to get any kind of signal into the interface from a mic. And the monitor jack is still only noise.

Then I have no further idea what that could be. You need to try the FF400 on a different computer to rule out it is defective.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Please provide a screenshot of the mixer with a microphone connected. Have you got phantom power on (if required) and gain turned up? What about the line inputs?
Which output are you referring to as "monitor jack" and what is connected to it?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

This is when a mic is connected and i'm tapping it. No signal:
/Users/marclinder/Desktop/Skärmavbild 2017-07-14 kl. 00.29.11.png

This is when Spotify plays:
/Users/marclinder/Desktop/Skärmavbild 2017-07-14 kl. 00.29.28.png

I mean the physical 6,3 mm jack (is it called that??) which is called "Monitor ch 7 / 8". When I put my headphones in there it's only noise coming out.

Could it have anything to do with the power source? It is working, but the transformer unit is some kind of copy. That might be causing the noise? I never used it until now. Bought the whole interface used three years ago, and I got no original transformer unit with it.

9 (edited by ramses 2017-07-14 07:24:19)

Yuo are aware of that nobody can see the pictures if you do not upload them to a sharing platform and tell the URL how to access them ? Or was this a copy of a mail to RME support ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Yuo are aware of that nobody can see the pictures if you do not upload them to a sharing platform and tell the URL how to access them ? Or was this a copy of a mail to RME support ?

Thank you mister! Just posted it and went to bed..... smile I'll try to solve that.

This is when a mic is connected and i'm tapping it. No signal:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ys018atlpir3i … 1.png?dl=0

This is when Spotify plays:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yxtkiui2tu5ad … 8.png?dl=0

I mean the physical 6,3 mm jack (is it called that??) which is called "Monitor ch 7 / 8". When I put my headphones in there it's only noise coming out.

Could it have anything to do with the power source? It is working, but the transformer unit is some kind of copy. That might be causing the noise? I never used it until now. Bought the whole interface used three years ago, and I got no original transformer unit with it.

Your screenshots show that all analog inputs are dead. They should show the noise floor (-1xx dB), but instead show UFL. You could try a different power supply, but after that the unit simply seems to be defective.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME