1 (edited by NicoK89 2017-07-15 11:23:58)

Topic: Fireface UC with external mic preamp

Hey guys,

I am quite a beginner concerning RME's products so that I really hope that you can help me. Since buying a Fireface UC, I really enhanced my mic'ed guitar recordings. I am currently using 1x Shure SM57 and 1x AKG C214, going into the XLR inputs of the interface. In addition to this, I would like to track the DI with my DI box but I am missing another XLR input on the RME Fireface. I would like to use the DI tracks in order to do some reamping if necessary.

During the last days, I had the following idea. Can you please tell me if this might be working and maybe further improve my recordings?

Shure SM57 into XLR input on the RME Fireface
Radial DI box into XLR input on the RME Fireface
External mic preamp (e. g. Universal Audio 710 or 610) XLR male (line) Output into line input on the RME Fireface. So, are external mic preamps supported by the Fireface UC?

I still love the neutal RME mic preamps but I think it might be nice to mix them up with other sounds.

I am quite confused that the above mentioned preamps use XLR plugs for line outputs, but is this setup going to work? Do you think that I could further enhance my guitar, bass and later vocal recordings? I have not heard an external mic preamp in person yet but with some research on the internet, tube preamps seem to sound a lot warmer and thicker.

Thank you very much in advance for helping me!

Regards,
Nico

Re: Fireface UC with external mic preamp

"Shure SM57 into XLR input on the RME Fireface
Radial DI box into XLR input on the RME Fireface
External mic preamp (e. g. Universal Audio 710 or 610) XLR male (line) Output into line input on the RME Fireface. So, are external mic preamps supported by the Fireface UC?"

That should work perfectly. It is a good Feature of an external mic pre to have an xlr-out. That one should provide symmetric wiring. Your Guitar-Combo seems to do that too. So you only have to buy a symmetric cable XLR ------ Jack. The Jack-plug looks  like a stereo-headphoneplug. You could use 2 of them and have the 2 front Inputs both free for microphones!!
Try it!

Mathias

3 (edited by NicoK89 2017-07-16 12:32:10)

Re: Fireface UC with external mic preamp

Thank you, Mathias, for your advice. I think I will get a XLR - TRS cable first so that I can use my mics and the DI tracks with the fireface. Later on, I might be getting an external tube mic preamp.

Thumbs up for your quick help!:-)