Topic: UFX+ Durec Media format

I have picked up a SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 64GB stick and it seems to show only file error in DUREC after a format.  IS FAT32 and exFAT32 providing the same kind of format as I only have Win 10.

Aside from that I have tried several times using different size allocation unit sizes ...seems like default is 128.

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961

Re: UFX+ Durec Media format

Try normal format with NTFS whether the stick is ok under Windows.

Otherwise exFAT is ok and also for me the default is 128. That shouldnt be an issue.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Well, I've tried and tried and tried but I have file error on this 64gb Sandisk extreme 3.0 in Durec.

Is there a gb maximum size that works?  The 64gb has been reformatted several times, I've added files and MP3's ... funny thing is it does not work in my vehicle so I suspect it will only read 16gb in a Chevrolet.   But it works fine in the computers on anyone I've used to view these files so the drive works.

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961

There is another post currently addressing problems using DUREC.  I'd love to get it working but it seems that process of doing it is just not clear to me so I'll bump this into more current status in case someone can help

Maybe the stick is defective, replace it.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by knuckle47 2017-08-05 13:50:15)

The 64gb is working great on all other computers but might be too big for the audio player in my truck.... used it to back up several other pieces of data with no issues

That's why I wonder if there is a max size limit?

This stick here works for me without any issues (UFX, UFX+) since nearly 3y.

https://www.amazon.de/SanDisk-Extreme-U … 0-064G-G46

That is what I have..... hmmmm, gotta start looking for a UFX problem maybe.  Seems like it's not uncommon

knuckle47 wrote:

Well, I've tried and tried and tried but I have file error on this 64gb Sandisk extreme 3.0 in Durec.

Is there a gb maximum size that works?  The 64gb has been reformatted several times, I've added files and MP3's ... funny thing is it does not work in my vehicle so I suspect it will only read 16gb in a Chevrolet.   But it works fine in the computers on anyone I've used to view these files so the drive works.

Have you tried a clean stick? ie with no files and only 1 FAT 32 partition?

SamProX23 Suite-RME UFX+,FF800;X-Touch,21" Acer Touch,ASUS ROG G750JH-DB71-Win8,MSSurfbook-Win10

10 (edited by knuckle47 2017-08-05 14:48:39)

I am inspired to try to solve this problem. It appears the designation PRO in the USB stick may be the problem.  I just grabbed the old USB 3.0 cruzer  SanDisk stick and it seems to work fine so my only Suggestion may be the new stick was too high tech

Yes Lindsey....did try that but like I think now ...the PRO version has something to do with it since the old stick is likely 2 yrs old and is not as fancy as the Extreme PRO

There is no Extreme 'Pro' with 64 GB. Also you did not mention 'Pro' in your first post, and claimed that your stick is the one linked to by Ramses - no 'Pro'.

The formerly highly praised Extreme sticks are no longer available, the replacement of SanDisk, called 'Go', now advertized with USB 3.1, sucks big time. Just read the Amazon reviews then you know.

And if you do have a 'Go' then I maybe should delete this whole thread to not cause unnecessary confusion for all its readers...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

No, not a "GO" .  However, initially, I did not believe it was part of the description until I had re-read the Amazon pages.  As in so many computer advances, I assumed the developing products might have backwards compatibility. 

I'll need to be more observant for the future ( although I will admit...that's getting harder each year)
Thanks for the input and clarification

I don't find a 'Pro' with 64 GB online. The only Pro was/is a 128 GB stick, and that one worked for other users. All the other 'Pro' in SanDisk line seem to be memory cards. Can you post a link to that stick?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

After your last reply I went to search Amazon and sadly I could not find a pro 64 GB. I still may have the package it came in and I will swear it says it is a SanDisk USB 3.0 extreme pro.   My only other justifications may prove invalid but I will look for the original packaging. Fortunately, I do have it working.

It may seem that I am a complete idiot with this recording stuff. Those Catholic school nuns of the 1950's pounded it into our heads that there are no stupid questions and that is why I keep coming back.  I've also read posts of other users that claim the same clueless process I seem to be following.

DUREC:  I went to the manual and followed what I thought might be a step by step process of recording a guitar onto the USB thumb drive.  Certainly proved otherwise as I eventually saw that my Durec computer screen display was incomplete (after 2 months) due to the groups, snapshots and layout presets panels forcing it below the screen border in TMFX. Dumb but it happened.

Then I realized the top row of faders changed to a record and channel selector when activating record view.  I assume that when selected, the red button is arming the channel to record ...similar to Cubase.  The channel selector shows OFF thru number 80.

What is the relationship of those numbers and their selection in the setup?

Additionally, I have noticed that when there is any gain on Mic 9-12 front panel input, when I press the corresponding input cable release button, the sig led flashes.  Is this something of concern?

These will sound crazy to many but I need to know that it's me. My first UFX was defective and having had some real comprehension problems, I would have never realized it was defective based on my knowledge of its operation and it would have still been here ...not functioning and out of warranty

If the equipment is good then it's gotta be the guy behind the switch,

Thanks for the help... it is graciously appreciated

Forgot to add:  I do get Durec recording but how I got there will be a mystery for a little longer wink

The channel select is a function of the playback button - you play back tracks from the DURec media on this channel, and select which of the tracks from DURec will be played here.

Open mic inputs, especially with gain, will be microphonic. That is fully normal. Plug something in and it is gone.

> It may seem that I am a complete idiot with this recording stuff.

If you think you can handle Cubase then DO NOT look this video. Very frustrating for guys in our age...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA_qxkrpM0M

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

18 (edited by knuckle47 2017-09-04 04:17:03)

Ha!  Thanks for that clarification MC....I think I'm going to watch it anyway...much regard

10 Minutes later.....EDIT:  I have a smile from ear to ear...and can't stop. lol