Topic: Hi-Fi DAC use--Turntable play-back

So far I have been using the ADI-2 Pro (Hi-Fi DAC use) with digital sources. The results have been well beyond my expectations on two counts: i) the quality of the DA conversion function plus the phenomenal simplicity and effectiveness of the DSP function to equalize my room/speaker response.

Simple question (have not gotten the TS/RCA adapters yet), if I connect my turntable to the analog Inputs (no equalization at all performed or enabled at analog input settings, namely, no equalization at A-to-D conversion stage), will I get the benefits of room/speaker equalization (added during D-to-A conversion) right now present (preset) at analog outputs 1/2?

If that is the case, if I add equalization at the analog input point (A-to-D conversion stage),  this equalization will be added on top of the equalization right now being present at analog output 1/2 (added during D-to-A conversion), correct?

Thanks a lot.......dr.larkos

2 (edited by ramses 2017-08-17 18:07:01)

Re: Hi-Fi DAC use--Turntable play-back

As u equalize for a certain  speaker/room combination on the two output channels it makes more sense to use the PEQ on the analog output just in front of your monitors/room. As you do it now.

Then this EQ correction affects only the outputs for which it is required and this for all possible inputs.

If ie your phones would also require special settings, then using the PEQ settings for your room would impact the signal for your phones and vice versa.

It makes more sense to have dedicated PEQ settings on analog outs for ie Monitors and on phones 3/4 for your phones or additionally on phones 1/2 as well if you connect a 2nd pair of phones on top.

I fear using PEQ 2 times in the signal path will add up. But why dont you simply try it out.
Add 2 times +4dB for B1 ... you will easily note the difference ... Lasts maybe 2 min to try it out.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks Ramses. I am very aware of all what you are saying. I am already using room/speaker equalization very successfully, with digital sources (headphone equalization is of no concern to me). I have not yet used or tried turntable with ADI-2 Pro because I have not bought yet TS/RCA adapters to be able to connect turntable to RME unit. Otherwise, as you say, in general, it would be a matter of a few minutes trial.

I gather all my narrative about possibility or ability of double equalization at A-to-D and D-to-A conversion stages managed to confuse the basic element in my query, my apologies.

My question is very simple:

if I connect my turntable to the analog inputs, will I be able to get at analog outputs 1/2 the benefits of the room/speaker equalization (being applied to these outputs) that I have been enjoying using digital sources?

Thanks and cheers........dr.larkos

4 (edited by ramses 2017-08-17 18:59:26)

I maybe don't understand your problem ...
If you enable PEQ on an output then every singnal will be altered no matter from which source (input) it came.
Thats the nature how things go if you enable an EQ on an output....

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you Ramses. I don't have a problem per-se just a question and you have answered it:

"If you enable PEQ on an output then every signal will be altered no matter from which source (input) it came.
That's the nature how things go if you enable an EQ on an output...."

I suspected as much but wanted to get confirmation. I thought it could be possible that each time you use analog inputs to effect a new A-to-D conversion, analog outputs would default to a new (blank) EQ preset to avoid involuntary equalization.

Thanks again.............dr.larkos

6 (edited by ramses 2017-08-17 19:59:15)

See drawings in chapter 17 to all modes.
In the boxes with "DSP" you have from my understanding EQ and other things like to be seen in drawings of chapter 34.3.

dr.larkos wrote:

if I connect my turntable to the analog inputs

As is the answer - that doesn't work. These are not turntable inputs. You need the usual RIAA preamp between turntable and ADI-2 Pro.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh sorry, I just realized that turntable is not the device I thought it would be.

MC wrote:
dr.larkos wrote:

if I connect my turntable to the analog inputs

As is the answer - that doesn't work. These are not turntable inputs. You need the usual RIAA preamp between turntable and ADI-2 Pro.

Thanks Mathias. Sorry, in principle, my fault for not saying so, but a little benefit of the doubt, please...ha, ha, ha!! In my mind the use of a phono section was implicit (or obvious) since I have five hi-end phono preamps, tubed and solid state: three outboard and two built into two (pre-CD era state of the art, pristine)  hi-end preamplifiers (the latter, both with"recording" output to bypass the line stage). In any event, interesting enough, nowadays, most entry level turntables come with built in phono preamp and, even, a built in ADC to digitize analog signal (not that I own any such contraption).

Cheers and all the best..............dr.larkos

Then back to your first post: yes and yes. Also easy to see when looking at the block diagrams in the manual (I hope so).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Then back to your first post: yes and yes. Also easy to see when looking at the block diagrams in the manual (I hope so).

Thanks Matthias (sorry, I missed double "t" in previous message). Yes, in the block diagrams is very clear that answer to my first question is yes...namely, the ADI-2 Pro does that. Now, how user gets unit to do it, is a matter to sort out (decide amongst) all the multiple combinations of "device mode" and input/source connections/settings. I guess, after careful study, I managed to figure it all out on paper (RCA/TRS adapters on their way). Obviously, easiest way is using Preamp mode.

Incidentally, when manual says, " The device enters Preamp mode automatically when Basic Mode is set to Auto and no digital input signal and no USB is detected", does it mean 1) no digital signal flowing but digital source still turned on, or ii) digital sources turned off? My experience seems to indicate that the second one is the case...definitely better than a third alternative: "no cable connecting  to a digital source is detected," which fortunately doesn't seem to apply here--I do own a Chord USB DAC (albeit a mobile one) that user has to actually disconnect the USB cable to be able to use SPDIF sources (then, it chooses whichever SPDIF signal got there first, if more than one are being transmitted).

Thanks again...................dr.larkos

The ADI-2 Pro checks for the presence of a SPDIF or AES signal, not for the presence of a cable.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

If you use the analog input, please keep in mind that the sample rate of the analog input depends on the sample rate of the USB input.

If you have used USB with 44 kHz,  also the analog input is sampled with 44 kHz and you get a low audio quality, for example from your turntable/phono pre.

Especially in DAC mode this is very annoying, because you will not notice it if you do not watch out carefully.

I have discussed this with RME/MC but unfortunately they will not change it.