Topic: UFX II Confusion with Mac CoreAudio...

Hi,
We just bought a fleet of UFX II.  I've used it before quite extensively, but not the type of studio I'm installing the new ones in (a school).  I'm quite confused about the interface presents itself CoreAudio apps, and in which mode:

1.  I've only needed to mess with AudioMIDI Setup 'streams' occasionally for another interface, so they're a little mysterious.  The UFX allows a choice of streams that include only *some* of the inputs (Analog 1-8, Phones 9-12, etc.).  I'm not sure how meaningful this is to other apps, and what use in AudioMIDI Setup.  Pro Tools allows any I/O choice, regardless, but the input choices from some other apps we need (Audacity, QT, etc.) are unclear– "Default", a list of input numbers- some of which don't work, etc.

2.  Is there a particular way the UFX driver handles setting default I/O for apps?  It seems to default to analog 1-2 (at least on the output), but we don't always want to use that.  There are a few words on it the manual, but does that change with its different modes? 

I know these things can depend on the app, but the app has to work with what the UFX driver gives it.

Hope that was follow-able, thanks!

-brian

Re: UFX II Confusion with Mac CoreAudio...

1. If an app does not include a setup dialog to choose the inputs/outputs then it uses what you define in the Audio MIDI Setup audio window. First you select the range of channels, then you assign them to the channels via Speaker configuration. An app that does not use this system wide information and neither offers channel selection should simply be deleted. wink

2. No, this is all controlled from Core Audio and the Audio MIDI Setup, not from our driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Interesting...ok, I stand corrected.

Ha, yes- deleted.  smile

So then the choice of different streams for the UFX in AudioMIDI Setup (Analog 1-8, AES, etc.) is solely for those apps?  And they should have no effect on any app that can access the full input choices (Pro Tools, Wavelab, etc.)?

I have used Configure Speakers once before for surround.  But I'm still on the input side– unless configuring the speakers actually affects the inputs, too.  It didn't seem to in my experiments, but I'll be sure.

What I need is to direct simple apps like Quicktime, Audacity, etc. to record through UFX inputs 11-12, not 1-2.

Thanks very much,
Brian

The workaround to remap input channels to lower channels via Loopback is described in the manual's Mac section, chapter 15.5 Various Information.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME