1 (edited by Gregsen 2017-08-31 16:36:21)

Topic: What Level Tolerances are accepted on the TRS Ins/Outs of the FF400?

Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a FF400 (second hand), and to make sure it is fully functional I sent a test sine tone at 800hz with -18dbfs as well as 0dbfs (as stress test) to every output from my DAW.

Before doing this, I performed a total reset within TotalMix and set every available fader to 0 for straight playback.

Next, I connected a TRS cable from Output 1 into each available TRS Input, and vice versa - TRS cable from Output 1 to Input 3, Output 2 to the same Input, Output 3 to the same input etc...

Turns out that the unit unfortunately has a couple of flaws. Output 6 sends out around 13db less than the other inputs and is severely lacking low end, it sounds like a highpass filter has been applied on the signal.

Inputs 7&8 receive around 2,5dB less level than all the others, same with Output 5, that one is sending around 2,5-3dB less level than all the others. All the other ones send or receive the test tones with a level loss of maximum 0,4dB.

So here's my question: What level tolerances do you accept for your FF400 interfaces? Is 2,5dB level loss still within your tolerance? Obviously my unit is in need for repair simply because of the faulty Output 6, I was just wondering whether Input 7&8 and Output 5 which show level loss of 2,5dB were in need of service as well.

Thanks for your info, and all the best!
Greg

Re: What Level Tolerances are accepted on the TRS Ins/Outs of the FF400?

Tolerance is more like 0,2 dB. That unit needs repair. Typically capacitors at the I/Os are dryed out.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: What Level Tolerances are accepted on the TRS Ins/Outs of the FF400?

Hi Matthias, many thanks for your quick reply smile I'd love to send the unit in for repair then. I will check your website to see how I can get in touch.