1 (edited by brynte5 2012-01-02 13:45:19)

Topic: babyface - problems with spdif...

i don´t know much about connections, so i need some help to get things running!

i have the rme babyface and i just got the focusrite vrm box for christmas:
this is the vrm box: http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio … s/vrm_box/

the vrm box only has 1 spdif input and it´s a different kind of spdif connection than babyface, so i also had to get a convertor to be able to connect them!
this is the convertor: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ODL276/

to try to make this work, i connected the spdif from the babyface output, to the convertor input and from the convertor output, to the vrm box input!
are those connections correct?
if i didn´t need the convertor it would be easy to just go from the babyface out, to the vrm box in, but since i need the convertor in between, i´m not sure i´m making the right connections here!?

i´m running cubase 5 and i have created (in vst connections) 3 different output buses!
the first is for monitoring in my speakers/ monitors and is analog 1 and analog 2 and this works!
the second is for monitoring in my headphones and is analog 3 and analog 4 and this also works!
the third is for monitoring in my headphones through the vrm box and is adat 1 and adat 2, (which are the outputs for spdif, in babyface!?) and this doesn´t work!

when i play this back i get no audio, when i have my phones connected to the vrm box (which is what i want), but i get audio when i connect my phones to the babyface!
i´ve been trying several times, to change outputs (in totalmix) to AS 1/2, but have only succeded in changing (assign) the main out to that!
main out B, phones 1 and phones 2, can´t be changed to AS 1/2

in short, i want to send audio from cubase, to the spdif output of babyface, so i can monitor my mixes through the vrm box!

i would really appreciate some help here guys, cause i need this to work asap!

Re: babyface - problems with spdif...

You need to change optical option in utilities tab (see page 14 of manual) to SPDIF mode.

3 (edited by brynte5 2012-01-02 13:46:50)

thx for your reply, ronmac, but i had already changed that setting!
optical out is set to spdif!
clock source is set to optical!
are both of these settings correct?

the different daws are similar, so it would probably also help, with a solution for this, if you are running another daw than cubase...

how do i send audio to the spdif output of babyface?

You need to set the clock of the Babyface to the internal clock - not optical. The VRM Box has one SPDIF input and can only work as clock slave to the Babyface (= master).
To send the signal via SPDIF to the VRM box, copy the Phones mix to AS1/2 (right click both outputs - copy/paste) or create a new monitor mix on AS1/2.

best regards
Knut

5 (edited by brynte5 2012-01-02 20:35:01)

ok, thx knut!

i have changed the clock setting to internal!
i´m sorry, but i need some more help with the next part of your instructions, though!

"copy the Phones mix to AS1/2"
you mean the hardware outputs, at the bottom in totalmix, right?
sounds so easy, but i don´t have AS1/2 there!
i only have AN 1/2, PH 3/4, ADAT 3/4, ADAT 5/6 and ADAT 7/8 as hardware outputs, in totalmix!
why doesn´t AS1/2 show as hardware outputs?

EDIT: it´s working now!
thx a lot for heping out!

another question on the same topic!

i´ve also been trying to connect a voicelive 2, to the spdif of babyface!
here is the voicelive 2: http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/voic … ech-specs/

it has 1 spdif input and 1 spdif output and i´ll have to use the adapter for this also, but this should work with the same settings as the vrm box, right?

Yes. In this combination the Babyface can work also as clock slave.

best regards
Knut

8 (edited by ry_cooder 2017-09-12 01:23:32)

Knut wrote:

To send the signal via SPDIF to the VRM box, copy the Phones mix to AS1/2 (right click both outputs - copy/paste) or create a new monitor mix on AS1/2.

best regards
Knut

I have a similar issue, I'm tryng to reamp a track via SPDIF into the Kemper. When I copy the Phones mix to AS1/2, I have my signal coming into the kemper, because I see the unit blinking, but I can't hear anything coming from the kemper into my DAW through SPDIF. Why?

9 (edited by ramses 2017-09-12 06:28:16)

ry_cooder wrote:
Knut wrote:

best regards
Knut

I have a similar issue, I'm tryng to reamp a track via SPDIF into the Kemper. When I copy the Phones mix to AS1/2, I have my signal coming into the kemper, because I see the unit blinking, but I can't hear anything coming from the kemper into my DAW through SPDIF. Why?

Did you check your routing meanwhile ? Submix mode, click to Phones output and check that the SPDIF IN fader is raised.
I wrote to you already in another track you should read my primer to get a basic understanding which is required.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

10 (edited by ry_cooder 2017-09-13 00:05:39)

ramses wrote:

Did you check your routing meanwhile ? Submix mode, click to Phones output and check that the SPDIF IN fader is raised.
I wrote to you already in another track you should read my primer to get a basic understanding which is required.

Hi, thank you very much for your reply. I regarded all the Babyface video series on youtube and searched all the topics on this subject in the forum but I'm still in trouble.

I created a submix for AS 1/2 outputs, then clicked on it and raised the fader of AS1/2 inputs but...nothing happens. There is no signal in AS1/2 IN, I have signal in AS1/2 OUT while the Kemper IN is blinking (meaning that it is fed by Babyface), but I can't hear any reamped signal in this way.

Instead, if I plug also the Kemper main ANALOG OUT into Babyface ANALOG IN 1, I can see the signal coming into AN1 IN channel. Then if I click on Main Mix, rise the fader of AN1 IN(with AS1/2 OUT already up), then I can hear the reamped signal coming out from my speakers. But still it's the wrong fader and it basically reamp everything who goes into my main output.
What i'm doing wrong?

Ry_cooder try posting screen shots of totalmix, it might help to work out what/where your problem is.