Topic: UFX+ with a docking station?

I am currently using a Dell XPS 9560 which features a thunderbolt 3 port, and 2 USB 3 ports.

I was considering purchasing a Dell TB16 thunderbolt docking station for use with this machine, which would connect an external monitor and Ethernet, as well as mouse and keyboard.

Is there any info on whether the UFX+ or any other RME interfaces and their drivers would cope if I daisy chained it via the docking station in this way?

Note I only use 4-8 simultaneous in/outputs.

Re: UFX+ with a docking station?

Basically this should work. As I don't have the TB16, and don't know which USB chips Dell put into it (beware of Asmedia...) it is not known if the USB ports will work correctly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Urumiko 2017-09-11 16:56:09)

I've dug a little further and found that the laptop itself is based on the intel HM175 chipset
The USBC/Thunderbolt port is only 2 lane not 4.

The Dock itself does seem to use the "ASMedia extended host controller"

if i were to connect the interface via thunderbolt to the thunderbolt port on the docking station would this still possibly use the AS media controller?

I could i suppose still connect the interface separate to the laptop via USB rather than via thunderbolt. The one cable approach is just quite appealing smile, but i can imagine this will add contention and therfore some latency. I could go another route and give the RME interface the thunderbolt port to itself then connect the monitor direct also and get a USB hub for everything else.

RME's strong point has always been the low latency of their USB driver.. if only working with a small number of audio ins/outs is there a notable advantage to TB vs usb?

In a similar vain are smaller RME interfaces ever likely to adopt TB any time soon?

You can use a USB-C to TB2 adapter (like the one from StarTech) to connect the UFX+ via Thunderbolt. That should also work with the dock in-between.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by knuckle47 2017-09-14 03:44:38)

Urumiko, regarding the advantages of TB over USB.  Forum user Ramses has a fantastic blog where he shows the differences of latency and samples.  In fact, the Thunderbolt numbers I'd sent to him for comparison and while they do show a mild improvement, I'd say it is minimal.

It is located on this web address and I hope , with his permission,  I am allowed to paste it here:

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … 8-RME-UFX/

Check it out as it has a TON of great stuff

EDIT:  by the way, I have had ZERO problems with my Thunderbolt setup and use....Love it

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961