Topic: Babyface Intermodulation Distortion at Higher Sampling Rates

Hey all,

I've been testing out my Babyface (original) at higher sampling rates and noticed some intermodulation distortion when using 96khz.

I followed these instructions: https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/ … ml#toc_1ch

This seems unacceptable for a unite that is supposed to work at 96khz, no? Has anyone else noticed this? I'd like some comment from RME if possible.

2 (edited by vinark 2017-09-14 19:48:17)

Re: Babyface Intermodulation Distortion at Higher Sampling Rates

Interesting read!
Only thing is it is a plea not to use 96k. After reading my thoughts are, you have no idea what is causing the issue (you don't describe what you are hearing or seeing), could be the babyface, it's headphone amp, your amp, the speakers etc. The whole issue is, so it reads, that playback devices have troubles with HF content....

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

3 (edited by Randyman... 2017-09-15 00:42:06)

Where are you hearing the IM distortion?  As Vin indicates, it is likely downstream equipment that is not able to handle the ultrasonics cleanly.

I'd assume the BF's Headphone amp is designed to cleanly reproduce that bandwidth w/o IM distortion (can MC confirm?) - so maybe double check there with some good headphones.  If you don't hear it there, it's simply not coming from the BF's DA section.  Must be downstream processing/amps/speakers...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Yes, I'd meant to check it with my headphones but totally forgot. And I'm not getting this problem with the headphones, suggesting that it's probably coming from my Dynaudio BM6As. Which is a shame as I like the monitors themselves.

Anyway, thanks for your help! After spending some time running various tests, it seems the benefits I would experience from running at 96khz would be small indeed, since most processes I use run good quality upsampling.

Thanks all!

5 (edited by Randyman... 2017-09-15 05:55:50)

justuseaneq wrote:

it seems the benefits I would experience from running at 96khz would be small indeed, since most processes I use run good quality upsampling.

Thanks all!

And that statement demonstrates your understanding of where higher sample rates/upsampling CAN be beneficial (a-la plugin oversampling for dynamics and "AIR EQ" and such).  Good on ya!

While I agree 44.1 can have issues in the highest octave - with good quality AD conversion (which oversamples as well to minimize anti-aliasing low-pass filtering artifacts), it will generally yield excellent results without needlessly pissing away valuable CPU/DSP cycles and HD space (granted, BOTH are not limiting factors in this day and age)...

Glad you were able to prove the RME BF was not the culprit.  I'm quite the RME fanboy myself smile  .  My ears are far from pristine (I like it loud!), but "well done" 44.1k is plenty good for me...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8