Topic: HDSPe Madi SSL Alphalink Madi AX sync issues (Os X 10.5.2)

Hi,

i?ve been using the RME HDSPe Madi AX (Mac OSxDrivers 2.57)  with a SSL Alphalink Madi Ax (firmware 2. )

i get occasional (every few minutes) crackles wich make the unit not very reliable in everyday use.
i have the feeling it gets less, if i sync the alphalink as slave via BNC wordclock from my RME HDSPe Madi. any idea?

thanks,
Uwe Felski

Re: HDSPe Madi SSL Alphalink Madi AX sync issues (Os X 10.5.2)

felski wrote:

Hi,

i?ve been using the RME HDSPe Madi AX (Mac OSxDrivers 2.57)  with a SSL Alphalink Madi Ax (firmware 2. )

i get occasional (every few minutes) crackles wich make the unit not very reliable in everyday use.
i have the feeling it gets less, if i sync the alphalink as slave via BNC wordclock from my RME HDSPe Madi. any idea?

thanks,
Uwe Felski

I have tried to nail it down and just monitored through the HDSPe`s analog out without any external Madi Device connected.
I?ve found short clicks every few minutes randomly on different input- tracks (totalmix input channels show them as well.

any solution??
Thanks,
Uwe
/macPro 2,8 8core(2008 Model)/OSx Leopard 10.5.2)

That might be quite normal. With nothing connected you have to switch the input to coaxial and disable the auto-input switching. If you have clicks then, it would be a problem.

The 'empty' optical receiver spits out a lot of nonsense and causes the card to react from time to time.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

SOLVED !!

after speaking To SSL support ( very fast and excellent customer,support) they send me a new unit and now the problem is solved. seems that my alphalink had a faulty psu.
so for now i can say, geat combination.

How do you like the SSL Alphalink's Converters?  Can you compare to RME or Apogee conversion?  And are they using XLR or DB-25?

Thanks cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

i am very hapy with the alphalinks converters. i did not directly compare between Apogee and Lynx (lynx was my other option). what made me choose the alphalink was.

- great price (for apogee you have to spend quite a bit more)
- they just seem clean to me
- 24 converters in 1 unit (i feel mixing different unit?s  seems causes phase problems, as different converters need different times converting)
- i?d rather invest in good musicians and performances, as that`s where the sound really takes place