Topic: Fireface 800 host light red, but Mac recognizes the hardware

Greetings,

I have contacted RME Support, but while I await their reply I'm posting this question to the community. (I know there are other threads about the red host light, but I didn't find any where the computer was recognizing the hardware.)

I power up my Fireface 800 and then boot my Mac. I never had any trouble with them syncing before, but now the host light stays red. What's curious is that the Mac recognizes the presence of the hardware. E.G. in the Sound control panel I am able to set In and Out to the Fireface. Also, the Fireface Settings app recognizes the unit.

How can this be? And what can I do?? I'm getting a red host light, and hence no sound. I've tried using the FW400 port as well as one of the FW800 ports, but no change.

I am running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) on an 8-core Mac Pro (Early 2008).

Anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks!
DM

2 (edited by cyrano 2017-10-04 14:54:17)

Re: Fireface 800 host light red, but Mac recognizes the hardware

My first guess would be that the PSU in the FF800 is running on it's last legs.

A new PSU board can be had from RME's online store, I believe. Easy enough to replace if you can handle a screwdriver and plug a few connectors.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Thanks for the reply, cyrano. I just had the power supply replaced, actually. The unit powers up correctly, and the signal indicators on the front panel are responsive to sound input (e.g. speaking on a mic). Also, as mentioned, the Mac recognizes the FF, it's just that the FF isn't recognizing the Mac.

4 (edited by doctormelodious 2017-10-04 18:00:56)

This just in: a couple of random times, the unit has recognized the host. But when I rebooted the Mac, it failed again.

EDIT: However, just now it did connect again. This time, I seized upon the opportunity to flash the firmware, and that process executed successfully. Since then I have rebooted the Mac about seven times, and the FF has connected each time. So it looks like I might be in good shape after all.