1 (edited by ywshuo 2017-10-02 23:51:27)

Topic: 8+ Channel Version of ADI-2 Pro?

I'm constantly working in 5.1. With 2 additional pairs of reference stereo monitors.

I'm currently using AIO and extension output card for 6 output, thinking about breaking out the 8 ADAT channels. I was planning to get ADI-8 MkIII but was informed that the sound quality of ADI-2 Pro was "significantly better". So I'm wondering if there will be a multi-channel version coming soon with the same performance that ADI-2 Pro provides? Like ADI-8 Pro?

Re: 8+ Channel Version of ADI-2 Pro?

No. We indeed think the ADI-8 MKIII, the ADI-8 QS or Fireface 802, UFX II and UFX+ would do that job very well. The advantage of the ADI-2 Pro lies in its many functions and different applications due to a different set of I/O.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

i'd love an even more stripped down version of the UFX!
when i purchased the ADI-2 PRO i also had the UFX+ in mind but it had so many things
i would never need just as the regular UFX.

Having something with the ability to connect phones, a volume knob and 4-8 analog inputs+preamps
but without all the hundreds of digital channels would be such a great option.

I just got an ADI-2 pro. I see the 2 front phone jacks are also marked L and R. And in the back there are 4 analog outputs. Making it 6 analog outputs altogether. Can I configure a 5.1 output with those 6 outputs?

And if so, 4 of them that's not XLR would be unbalanced right?

The ADI-2 Pro comes with a very detailed manual explaing all the I/Os. There are also simple block diagrams showing the analog output configuration in all basic modes. The unit has 2 stereo DACs = 4 channels. That obviously would not add up to 6 channels.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

No. We indeed think the ADI-8 MKIII, the ADI-8 QS or Fireface 802, UFX II and UFX+ would do that job very well. The advantage of the ADI-2 Pro lies in its many functions and different applications due to a different set of I/O.

But the audio specs are better, and that's what we are looking for...
An updated ADi 8 QS (now 10 years old) could be the solution.

There is no reason to assume that you will be in any way dissatisfied with the ADI-8QS or DS MK III. Specs are better for the ADI-2 Pro, but there is no differerence in "sound quality" by design, i.e. the ADI-2 Pro is not meant to have a specific "character" of any kind (nor is any other RME device). You can not expect immediately audible differences between converters of this class, even if one of them is ten years old. Converter technologoy does not advance the way computer CPUs or digital camera sensors have done over the past decade. 

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME