Topic: Analog outputs level droping

Hi,

I have UCX for 2 years now and am very happy with it except for one problem. The analog outputs on the back seem to have a level problem.
What happens is I output signal of equal level on both outputs 1 and 2, and TotalMix shows same output level, but the actual speaker output level is much lower on one channel.
If I connect outputs back to UCX inputs that also shows level difference.

This doesn't happen always, sometimes it works fine, sometimes not. Also it happens that it starts working ok after a while, without me doing anything.

I found similar problems reported in https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c … sound.html
They mention "Capacitor C16 overheating".

I hope that's not the problem I have, but it does sound most probable as it looks like a hardware problem.

What should I do ?

Re: Analog outputs level droping

Did you buy a used unit 2 years ago? Or use it with a mixer sending phantom power to the UCX outputs? The described problem is usually capacitors dried out. That can be repaired by putting new ones in.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello, no, I bought it new from a local store here, back in March 2015, but the warranty period has passed.
I only used it live with a mixer 3 times in last few months, but the problem was happening long before that.
I used it at home with outputs connected to a cheapish hifi amp, and every time it happened I assumed the amp is the cause.
But recently I started using it live with my band, and was told by sound guy that PA mixer was receiving lower signal in right channel. Only then I realized it's not the hifi amp, but UCX that has the problem.

What are my options regarding repair ? Should I contact support ? I only posted here as it's Sunday, not expecting support to answer today.

How difficult is it to replace the capacitor, can I get someone locally to do it, or do I have to send the unit back to RME ?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, the unit needs to be checked by our service which is available through your local support or local distributor. I have no clue what exactly is going on here. Capacitors usually not work and don't work and work again. Dead is dead. Maybe this is a different case with a soldering problem somewhere.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, thanks for the info, I'll contact the store where I bought it.