Topic: MIDI Breakout Cable Question...

Hi,

I really don't want to add yet another mini-octopus breakout cable on my desktop but am needing MIDI IN access to the FF400.  So rather than the 4-plug dual IN/OUT harness I'm wondering if either (or both) of the following might exist? ....

1) A single MIDI OUT cable  (or short of that a single pair IN/OUT cable)
2) An extension cable that would connect between the FF400 and the default dual IN/OUT harness. (This way I could at least get the mini octopus off the desktop itself).

Also, is there a name for the type of connector the FF400 MIDI breakout cable has ?

Thanks,

Sonic

Re: MIDI Breakout Cable Question...

SonicExplorer wrote:

Also, is there a name for the type of connector the FF400 MIDI breakout cable has ?

It's a non-standard 9 pin mini DIN connector. Not easy to source. Even harder to solder.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

3 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-10-25 03:35:58)

Non-standard?  Does that mean I would not likely be able to find an already-usable extension (patch) cable? 

Here's an image of what it seems to look like...   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DIN_ … iagram.svg

UPDATE:

Upon further research, it seems this is called a "9 pin Mini DIN B-type" cable.

These connectors have seen a lot of different use in the past. Some manufacturers have developed proprietary versions. On first sight, these seem to fit, until you try.

The clearest example is the connector for the Apple Geoport modem. It's a tiny bit bigger than RME's connector.

The problem isn't in the connector. It's in the cable.

If you can find cables like these, you'd need to find "straight" ones. Some cables were made for modems, fi, and they cross some wires, or connect pins together.

That's the #1 problem with DIN connectors. You can't see what a cable will do from looking at the cable.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

5 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-10-25 18:53:46)

Ugh, that's a bit concerning.  I found a patch cable but it's crazy expensive just for a cable. And with the risk of not being 100% sure it will fit makes it not an inviting option.

Maybe Matthias C. would know if a 9-pin B-type mini-DIN connector is in fact the correct one?

I also located the connector by itself on eBay, and was thinking maybe I'd buy that and then take a MIDI cable and cut the end off and make a longer single-input FF400 MIDI cable.  That would solve everything for me.  Of course I'd have to test the pins but I suspect only 3 pins are necessary to solder in order to make a single input MIDI cable that would connect to the FF400.

Any more thoughts on this....?

6 (edited by vinark 2017-10-26 07:37:05)

If it is the right connector that is a good idea. Or just buy a spare original and cut of everything but the midi cable.
Or this http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Mini-Din-9-pin-B … xygPtS5Zuk  if it is the right type.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632