Topic: 802 - How do I set ADAT2 to SPDIF?

Simple question... and I suspect I will get plenty of answers saying RTFM or 'just set the ADAT to SPDIF', however although this worked fine with the 800...  with the 802 there doesn't seem to be any way of shifting the 9-16 adat channels to a single stereo spdif output in the panel matrix...   Any ideas from someone who has done this?  The RME adverts seem pretty clear it is supposed to work...   yikes/
Thanks!

Re: 802 - How do I set ADAT2 to SPDIF?

Search handbook for the string "optical SPDIF".

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I wonder what 'Panel Matrix' means and where that function is in the FF800. AFAIK it is in the Settings dialog for both devices.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Ramses for the RTFM. The manual and settings are simple enough.  Unfortunately this change is not reflected in the Totalmix mixer.

Thanks Matthias for the reply. By 'panel matrix' - I should have said 'Total-mix mixer'.
The 802 just shows the full compliment of ADAT2 inputs and outputs, no matter what is selected in the settings (ie - you can set the ADAT2 to AES in and out), and so does not work correctly for selection or routing if you want to use spdif optical.

FF800 and 802 have the exact same way of handling SPDIF I/O optical. There is no diffference in TotalMix mixer, TotalMix Matrix or the Settings dialog. The only difference is that SPDIF is renamed to AES, as the 802 does not have SPDIF coaxial via RCA but XLR.

When you activate AES on ADAT 2 the I/O is still the AES channels in the mixer (like before with the 800). Removing all ADAT channels from the hardware output row is not necessary, and would remove a useful feature. These mixer channels can still be used as virtual submixes via Loopback.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks. - So the AES becomes routed to the ADAT2 rather than the XLR output?
So the AES output is an 'either/or'? or is the signal delivered to both outputs?

I seem to have screwed it up completely now...
Since changing the AES settings to ADAT and back again, Windows7 decided it wouldn't see the AES output at all...
Reinstalling the driver didn't help, so I uninstalled the driver and deleted all references to 'fireface'.
When I try to install again, it just says "install failed"...

Is there a way to rescue this driver (V3123) or does this mean I need to rebuild my whole PC???  - Gulp! :-O 

Grateful for any aid here...  - Thanks!

Now sorted - Thanks anyway.
I found a corrupted driver in the Device Manager.  After uninstalling from there, the new driver then installed properly.
Happy again!
Phew!  smile

Rev.F wrote:

Thanks. - So the AES becomes routed to the ADAT2 rather than the XLR output?
So the AES output is an 'either/or'? or is the signal delivered to both outputs?

It's the other way round - look at the block diagram in the manual! Outputs run in parallel mode (why not...), but the input is XLR OR TOSLINK.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME