Topic: to mix withheadphone

daer friends, i have ufx fireface , i'm mixing with headphones cause i don't have a treated room, some one says that to mix with headphones in correct way have have a headphone amp, why ?. Out put of ufx headphone not give the real sound as  the monitor outputs.. is there anybody who doing with this methode..? please help , i'm little bit confused..thank you.

Re: to mix withheadphone

> i'm mixing with headphones cause i don't have a treated room, some one says that to mix with headphones in correct way have have a headphone amp, why ?

Your sentence / question is not fully understandable, please rephrase, thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I think sanje74 is asking if it is necessary to have a headphone amplifier in order to accurately mix tracks on headphones.
Unless the headphones in question require a amplifier (ie very high impedance ones) I would say no.

4 (edited by ramses 2017-10-30 23:40:06)

Its very difficult to say / judge if he does not give any details, what equipment he uses
"You dont need a Rolls Royce to drive from A to B".

Also important would be information what style he is mixing / mastering. In electronic music, R&B, dubstep you have to work with deep frequencies. Its challenging to get the room proper for that, in such cases good phones can help. But these cost alone > €1600 and not each headphone is really able to reproduce these frequencies, i.e. LCD-X.

For normal semi-professional requirements (and this seems to be the case here) otherwise
an acoustically optimized room would be out of question, the headphone preamps of RME
interfaces are IMHO sufficient.

If he has very expensive headphones or headphones which require a phones preamp with high output,
then the addition of an ADI-2 Pro could be adviced, if its not loud enough or if listening experience can
be improved by the ADI-2 Pro (to be tested by own rehearsal).

Besides of this the ADI-2 Pro has generally some cool features that you can become used to ...

But even if his room is not acoustically optimized I would not exclude to also use Near field monitors
with a narrow sweet spot so that he could cross check the sound with normal monitors and
also phones to completely exclude the room.

At the end it also depends on skills, the sound materials quality and how much money you can spend on your "hobby".

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

There are some Tools to simulate The behavior of speakers in a room. To reduce the extreme separation of headphones etc.

https://www.112db.com/redline/monitor/

Waves (with head Tracking Camera!)
https://www.waves.com/plugins/nx#introd … l-mix-room

I think there is also a hardware solution (headphoneamp), but i don‘t remember the name or brand.

But the best way is to know your headphones.
Hear as often you can with them (not only your own material) , and don‘t be too shy with panning in your mixes.

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Fireface800 | Babyface | Octamic II | ADI-2 | ADI-648 | AudientASP008

rAC wrote:

I think sanje74 is asking if it is necessary to have a headphone amplifier in order to accurately mix tracks on headphones.
Unless the headphones in question require a amplifier (ie very high impedance ones) I would say no.

first of all thanks for answering.., i mean  the output of the ufx ( for monitors) and output for (headphones) are equel detailed..?
because someone says me if i want to mix with headphones i need to to connect headphones to main outputs(output wicth we use for the monitors.. not headphone out..mmmh do i explained..?.. yhanks

Urban wrote:

There are some Tools to simulate The behavior of speakers in a room. To reduce the extreme separation of headphones etc.

https://www.112db.com/redline/monitor/

Waves (with head Tracking Camera!)
https://www.waves.com/plugins/nx#introd … l-mix-room

I think there is also a hardware solution (headphoneamp), but i don‘t remember the name or brand.

But the best way is to know your headphones.
Hear as often you can with them (not only your own material) , and don‘t be too shy with panning in your mixes.

tahnks Urban.. for help..

ramses wrote:

Its very difficult to say / judge if he does not give any details, what equipment he uses
"You dont need a Rolls Royce to drive from A to B".

Also important would be information what style he is mixing / mastering. In electronic music, R&B, dubstep you have to work with deep frequencies. Its challenging to get the room proper for that, in such cases good phones can help. But these cost alone > €1600 and not each headphone is really able to reproduce these frequencies, i.e. LCD-X.

For normal semi-professional requirements (and this seems to be the case here) otherwise
an acoustically optimized room would be out of question, the headphone preamps of RME
interfaces are IMHO sufficient.

If he has very expensive headphones or headphones which require a phones preamp with high output,
then the addition of an ADI-2 Pro could be adviced, if its not loud enough or if listening experience can
be improved by the ADI-2 Pro (to be tested by own rehearsal).

Besides of this the ADI-2 Pro has generally some cool features that you can become used to ...

But even if his room is not acoustically optimized I would not exclude to also use Near field monitors
with a narrow sweet spot so that he could cross check the sound with normal monitors and
also phones to completely exclude the room.

At the end it also depends on skills, the sound materials quality and how much money you can spend on your "hobby".

i excuse for my english..  :-).. to headphone mix, i mean do i need to connect headphones to main outputs(output wicth we use for monitors) or it's correctly ok to use just headphone output..seems to be stupid question but ...don't know ... wanted to know the way that the audiocard release the delails from the both of outputs are the same...? thank you very much..Ramses