1 (edited by chaosmonger 2017-11-01 00:24:06)

Topic: From FF800 to UCX... Do I need to install the drivers again?

Well, I just received my new UCX, so happy about it.

...But I'm keeping my old trustworthy FF800 as a A/D/A converter via ADAT for some extra I/O and as a backup in case anything happens with the UCX.

So before I install the UCX, I have a couple little doubts:

For the FF800 I currently have installed the 3.118 driver (Windows 8 Pro) and given that this driver is compatible with both the 800 and the UCX I was wondering if is it possible to just connect the UCX just using the already installed driver, and not having to install anything again.

In the same spirit i was wondering if is it possible to "interchange" both interfaces (I know you cannot use both at the same time), so let's say if I'm doing some location recording with the UCX somewhere else, I can still work at my studio with the FF800 in the meantime.

That would also come handy if I need to change the inner routing of the 800 from what's stored in the flash memory.

Thanks in advance!
Igor

Re: From FF800 to UCX... Do I need to install the drivers again?

> I know you cannot use both at the same time

Says who?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Uuhhh... So you're telling me i can connect the ucx together w/the 800 through firewire? (Connecting both to 2 different fw ports on my pc?). I always read in here that the way to make them work together was via adat.
Those would be GREAT NEWS!
:-O

MC wrote:

> I know you cannot use both at the same time

Says who?

Reading the manual helps. Useful details for multi-interface operation are in there.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yeah, but for what I've read so far it speaks of "more than one UCX", not sure if that applies for older models too. Gonna dig deeper into the manual.
Thanks for your help!

MC wrote:

Reading the manual helps. Useful details for multi-interface operation are in there.

6 (edited by ramses 2017-11-01 17:41:56)

As you can see on driver download page both recording interfaces use the same ASIO driver.
So in your DAW you can access both recording interfaces via the RME Firewire ASIO driver.
You need to open a second instance of TotalMix FX.
Select in one instance your main interface, i.e. the UCX, and in the other the 800.
The only (little) restriction is, that you can't route channels between these 2 TM FX instances.
But all channels are useable by your DAW.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3j5o3rzvhfrrt1/RME%20FW%20Drivers%20which%20devices.jpg?dl=1

You only need to clock synch both devices, you could use for this purpose i.e. SPDIF coaxial, as both interfaces have SPDIF coaxial connectors.

Set i.e. the UCX as clock master (driver settings dialog: clock source "internal")
On the 800 set clock to come from the proper coaxial SPDIF input.
That should it be.

And you are still able to connect i.e. an 8-port preamp or AD/DA converter via ADAT to each of the 2 recording devices FF800 and UCX.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks a lot ramses. That was super helpful!
Rocking my 2 Firefaces as we speak ;-)

Thanks for the positive feedback, enjoy ;-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13