Topic: Latency figures of UFX

Hi, sorry if already asked, didn't managed to get the real latency figures of the UFX (old one) on Usb/Windows on the forum.
Which is the smallest sample you can set on windows (32 or 48?) and which roundtrip latency I get?

And what's the latency of the stand-alone mode (totalmix in/out)?

Thank you

2 (edited by ramses 2017-11-03 11:54:10)

Re: Latency figures of UFX

This is what the RME ASIO driver reports to the host (DAW):

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1931-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-jpg

The smallest ASIO buffer setting of the UFX is 48, with UFX II and UFX+ this is 32.

With TM in/out you mean AD / DA, these values are documented in the handbooks
See chapter 38.2 latency and monitoring
And for UFX and UFX+ I copy pasted it also into the above picture.

My related blog articles:

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … 8-RME-UFX/
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … ME-RayDAT/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

wow thanks!
4.3 ms that's good.

the 802 I tried last weeks I remember was about 3.2... ?

4 (edited by ramses 2017-11-03 12:12:03)

marcobarbaro wrote:

wow thanks!
4.3 ms that's good.

the 802 I tried last weeks I remember was about 3.2... ?

At what ASIO buffersize ? Maybe 32 ?
But actually these little differences are neglectable.
Usually you will anyway tend to have some safety and headroom and work at 128 depending on proect sizes.
But if you need really low latency to record a virtual instrument inside of a DAW, then you can use lower ASIO buffer sizes and to reduce the CPU load, if required, freeze the tracks in Cubase.

Look with that performance potential that you can reach with RME/Drivers, there is much headroom on a properly setup PC.
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … cks-de-en/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

No I was saying 3.2ms roundtrip (1.7ms in/ 1.5 ms out if I remember correctly on windows at buffer 48)

I need it for a big project and I would need only one or two channels with a vst fx from the daw. the other instruments will use the totalmix routing, but for two of them I need the daw in/out and want to know the working latency. (I think one or two vstfx running in realtime at buffer 48 is no problem).

can you tell me the totalmix latency in/out stan-alone? I just read the chapter 38 of the ufx manual but don't found the data.

thanks!

You see in this picture in the handbook at 44.1 kHz
A/D 0.27ms
D/A 0.63ms

All this happens in the FPGA (field programmable gate array) ... No audio signal goes through the TM software.
With the software you control the routing inside the routing matrix / hardware.

I cannot tell you by heart what the FPGA requires, it will be less that the chips required for AD DA.

If you need to know this, then RME needs to comment on this.
I think this has already been answered here in the forum, but I dont remember.

If I were you I would simply expect that its neglectable low compared to AD DA as I said.

7 (edited by ramses 2017-11-03 12:27:37)

If you require lowest latencies also for AD DA, then you need to take the newer products UFX II and UFX+.
There D/A is 4 times quicker. You see the values of the uFX+ also in the picture.
A/D 0.28ms
D/A 0.16ms
Those of UFX II should be the same, look manual.
With the newer devices also the FPGA might be bigger, at least the on of the UFX+ according to USB3/TB and the higher amount of channels. In what regards this might change execution inside of the FPGA I cannot tell.

ramses wrote:

If you require lowest latencies also for AD DA, then you need to take the newer products UFX II and UFX+.
There D/A is 4 times quicker. You see the values of the uFX+ also in the picture.
A/D 0.28ms
D/A 0.16ms
Those of UFX II should be the same, look manual.
With the newer devices also the FPGA might be bigger, at least the on of the UFX+ according to USB3/TB and the higher amount of channels. In what regards this might change execution inside of the FPGA I cannot tell.

he he I know but I'm looking for a used UFX or 802...  the newer ones are huuuge out of budget

But you wrote in this thread already that you have a 802, now I am confused.
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26176

ramses wrote:

A/D 0.28ms
D/A 0.16ms

so this is the standalone ad/da at 44KHz? it's about the same as the 802 it's very good.

ramses wrote:

But you wrote in this thread already that you have a 802, now I am confused.
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26176

sent it back after having many troubles and no way to resolve. it was expensive and I preferred to get the money back asap.

12 (edited by marcobarbaro 2017-11-03 13:16:19)

I have another question regarding latency: I read that while using an external converter via ADAT the latency becomes higher in order to match via the converters of the external unit. is it that true?

so in this case, connecting my audient asp880 I will work at the speed of the audient converters. right?
(so maybe all the adda difference between ufx and newer units like 802/ucx becomes negligible...)

13 (edited by ramses 2017-11-03 14:23:19)

You need to add either AD or DA for external converters.

Like this is the case when I used the UFX as preamp on the RayDAT, see my blog article and
the picture of the excel .. this is the rightmost column UFX via RayDAT.

You need to add the value for AD and DA (in total 0.9ms for the UFX) to the RTT.

thanks ramses you are very useful!
best
marco

marcobarbaro wrote:

thanks ramses you are very useful!
best
marco

Thanks very kind wink