Topic: ADI-2 Pro and new interfaces

Hi everyone,
This is my first post here, I'm glad RME provides a forum of their own, I am a big fan of their interfaces.
I recently was forced to sell my UCX for financial reasons, but have since been able to consider a new AD/DA or interface again.  I love what I'm reading about the ADI-2 Pro, especially the DSD capability (recording as well as playback I think?!), but was curious whether RME was actively looking to push the developments of converters and DSD capability into something like the Fireface series?  I know the blanket answer is likely that RME always does this, but I am wondering whether I should commit to an ADI-Pro 2 now or wait?  Obviously I would need to commit to an external preamp setup, which adds to cost, but this is not an issue long term. I currently have a FF800 on loan, which considering its age isn't bad at all.

Re: ADI-2 Pro and new interfaces

DSD will not be added to the other interfaces, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the reply - does this include future interfaces? Or are you only referring to firmware updates & model updates (UFX+, UFX II, etc.)?

MC wrote:

DSD will not be added to the other interfaces, sorry.

4 (edited by ramses 2017-08-20 07:43:05)

Maybe this solution is for you. A combination of ADI-2 Pro, RayDAT and ARC USB like described here in my blog article: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … ort-DE-EN/

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1963-01a-Overview-ADI-2-Pro-TotalMix-FX-ARC-USB-jpg

There you have everything:
- quality and features of ADI-2 Pro
- based on a solid and proven PCIe card (RayDAT)
- the comfort of an ARC USB
  which can be connected to a PC via USB and only requires an RME interface supporting TM FX to work
- expandability of the solution via ADAT (RayDAT), i.e. up to 4 Octamic XTC via ADAT @44.1/48

And I think it might even be possible to remote control the Octamic XTC via MIDI and then to set it up as AUX device into the TM FX instance of the RayDAT. By this you can control:

• Stereo / Mono

• Phantom Power

• Gain for Mic or Line Level

• AutoSet

• PAD (for inputs 1-4)

• Instr (for inputs 5-8)

• Width

• FX Send

• MS/Proc

• Phase Invert (180°) L / R

On top of that you would be able to digitally save all of the above listed settings digitally via TM FX snapshots, so that you can recall the settings completely at any time. Example UFX+ with 2 Octamic XTC as AUX device remote controlled (here via MIDI over MADI). See the red rectangles in the screenshot. In the top row "HW Inputs" you can see the settings and controls for one remote controlled XTC Mono Input (Madi 1) and MA 3/4 Stereo Mics:
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1775-UFX-und-Octamic-XTC-Bild-3-TotalMix-FX-jpg/

In contrast to that you can also use the RME MIDI remote application to control ALL of the parameters of the XTC. But then you can not save the settings to TotalMix FX, because you can not use "AUX Device" and "MIDI Remote" at the same time, these 2 possibilities / solutions exclude each other as all control uses the same MIDI channels so that they would interfere with each other.
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1777-UFX-und-Octamic-XTC-Bild-5-MIDI-Remote-Anwendung-jpg

This remote control feature / setup is also described in this article, but using MIDI over MADI.
But maybe still interesting as it describes the setup of an AUX device.
For a pure MIDI based solution its slightly different.
Article is only available in german, but maybe still useful when looking simply at the configuration:
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … Cber-MADI/

It might also work with other RME recording interfaces but might work best with interfaces like the RayDAT, where AES and optical SPDIF output are completely separate channels.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Maybe this solution is for you. A combination of ADI-2 Pro, RayDAT and ARC USB like described here in my blog article:

There you have everything:
- quality and features of ADI-2 Pro
- based on a solid and proven PCIe card (RayDAT)
- the comfort of an ARC USB
  which can be connected to a PC via USB and only requires an RME interface supporting TM FX to work
- expandability of the solution via ADAT (RayDAT), i.e. up to 4 Octamic XTC via ADAT @44.1/48

And I think it might even be possible to remote control the Octamic XTC via MIDI and then to set it up as AUX device into the TM FX instance of the RayDAT. By this you can control:

• Stereo / Mono

• Phantom Power

• Gain for Mic or Line Level

• AutoSet

• PAD (for inputs 1-4)

• Instr (for inputs 5-8)

• Width

• FX Send

• MS/Proc

• Phase Invert (180°) L / R

On top of that you would be able to digitally save all of the above listed settings digitally via TM FX snapshots, so that you can recall the settings completely at any time. Example UFX+ with 2 Octamic XTC as AUX device remote controlled (here via MIDI over MADI). See the red rectangles in the screenshot. In the top row "HW Inputs" you can see the settings and controls for one remote controlled XTC Mono Input (Madi 1) and MA 3/4 Stereo Mics:

In contrast to that you can also use the RME MIDI remote application to control ALL of the parameters of the XTC. But then you can not save the settings to TotalMix FX, because you can not use "AUX Device" and "MIDI Remote" at the same time, these 2 possibilities / solutions exclude each other as all control uses the same MIDI channels so that they would interfere with each other.
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1777-UFX-und-Octamic-XTC-Bild-5-MIDI-Remote-Anwendung-jpg

This remote control feature / setup is also described in this article, but using MIDI over MADI.
But maybe still interesting as it describes the setup of an AUX device.
For a pure MIDI based solution its slightly different.
Article is only available in german, but maybe still useful when looking simply at the configuration:

It might also work with other RME recording interfaces but might work best with interfaces like the RayDAT, where AES and optical SPDIF output are completely separate channels.

Hi Ramses, thanks for the thorough response.  It seems to be exhaustively complete in using the ADI-2 Pro as a full fledged interface.

In my case though, I would want to record in DSD.  I just received mine and am trying to figure out how to do this - it appears as though it's still quite a challenge.  It sounds AMAZING though... in PCM.