1 (edited by richardpavelec 2017-11-14 23:31:48)

Topic: honest latency comments

greetings all

i am not a newbie to all this but need some modern-day (2017) feedback on transitioning from hardware to software...FOR LIVE USE.

i am a former cubase/plugins user so i already know the realities of latency. then went with Universal Audio Apollos (which was great but, i sold to become non-computer dependent). now thinking of a Kemper. but...

i scored a new job at an Apple/Mac dealer/repair place and can get their refurbished stuff almost for free. so now, i am looking at Positive Grid, Amplitube and the latest Apogee Duet-4-Mac or RME Babyface.

as much as i love the small foot print of iOS setups (iPad Pro, etc), i must stick with laptops, since PG and Amplitube desk-top versions offer pro-grade rack effects (better comps, EQ, delay, mods, etc).

i know the Agogee and RME have a reputation for minimal latency but i also here that technically, there is still a SLIVER of latency. and, their 'direct monitoring' is worthless to me because i play live and need to hear the effects in real time.

i play clean tones only (acoustic-electric), no distortion patches. so, any bit if latency is always noticed to me. i hear that with the modern day Apogee-Duet/RME babyface Pro/PG/Amplitube set ups, the latency has been recorded about 4ms. but, that is still more than hardware (and UA Apollo).

i just wanted to hear from some 2017 PG/Ampltube users, who use their systems for LIVE-RIG use (not recording). i watch all the new youtube videos on this subject and it seems like players are getting good results. is it true?

i do not trust tech support/pre-sales at PG, IK, Apogee and RME because, they are out to sell product and may be biased with their assurance that latency is not noticed these days. but i do trust you actual players. please comment here?

if ANY noticeable latency still exists in these modern day PG/Amplitube set ups, save me from the mistake of blowing my money on it all...if i should stick with the original Kemper plan, so be it!

(sorry for typos)

Re: honest latency comments

If you are direct monitoring in TotalMix I believe you will find the latency unnoticeable. I think RME quote it as 2 samples somewhere in their doc’s.

3 (edited by ramses 2017-11-16 07:43:43)

And also the round trip times between recording device and PC/DAW are very good.

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php … ncies-jpg/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

great replies and i am grateful. i feel better now.

next i am wondering what the quality difference is with mobile vs desktop. is the software code much better on desktop?

i would like to go iPad pro route but i am afraid mobile versions of guitar apps are like comparing real pedals to rack gear (toys vs pro tools).; are my eyes being fooled by those pedal graphics?

MBP's are so expensive! since i am only playing live (no recording), i am wondering if a Macbook Air or iPad Pro is fine (with the same good latency).