Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Can you adjust how much the headphone volume should rise or fall pr. nudge with the wheel?

The "jumps" between each volume step are too large currently, I find, making the sound either a little too loud or a little too quiet.

I'm also interested to know what are the increments in dB per step for controlling the main output and/or headphones via rotary encoder normally?

Open TotalMix, look at the dBs of the fader while turning the wheel.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It's amazing how arrogant you are, MC. Is there a chance you could hire a professional person to moderate the forum, who is not the owner and without your "I don't give a fuck" attitude?

You really think I have a table lying around that I could copy into this forum having the steps of the wheel of all our products? Amazing...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

406 (edited by pianopictures 2017-05-28 13:31:02)

1. Did I ask you about the instructions about how to check the steps on an (in my case) nonexistent unit and software?
2. Did I say I expect you to "have a table" lying around?
3. Did I say you must answer my question in case you don't know the answer (or even if you do)?

407 (edited by ramses 2017-05-28 13:38:30)

pianopictures wrote:

It's amazing how arrogant you are, MC. Is there a chance you could hire a professional person to moderate the forum, who is not the owner and without your "I don't give a fuck" attitude?

Why are you reacting so aggressive? You didn't tell that you do not have a BBFP.

If you would have one then it was a very valid and not inpolite answer, as it would have taken you only a few seconds to try it out.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

408 (edited by pianopictures 2017-05-28 13:38:08)

@ramses

Hello Ramses.

Because I'm pissed off. Every time I ask some simple little question here, I hear RTFM answer, or check YouTube, or whatever, after I did my research to my abilities. Sorry, do you also really think I would bother asking about the increments on MY unit instead of just checking it by myself?

409 (edited by ramses 2017-05-28 14:10:07)

Conversation over electronic media is always challenging.

And I can only repeat it was not clear, that you have no BBFP in front of you as you did not tell this !!

If you would have stated this out clearly, then you would surely have got another answer,
as then its clear that you can not try on your own.

I can only speak abount myself. I have a fulltime job and family.
If I see that a topic comes again and again, then I make some thoughts to make my support more efficient
as I need to housekeep with my priveate time.

Then I write sometimes a blog article and then only refer to it.

Its impossible for me to answer the same things again and again.

And now comes the part where you really should be thankful.
With all other companies I know, you can only deal with the support and the quality is "so so " ...
Here in the RME user forum you get high quality answers from the lead architect of these solutions.
And this in a very narrow response time.

If you put all this together, tbh, I think there is no real reason to complain.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Sorry then...

ok, thanks and don't worry :-)

pianopictures: It seems I misunderstood you in several ways. As I had read your name before and you do have 34 posts here already I expected you to have a RME unit. If not then sorry.

Second I (most probably) took your 'normally' the wrong way, like 'on all the units'. Assuming you don't have an RME unit the question makes more sense, because you can not kow that there is not one step, but different steps stretched over the whole gain range, to make the adjustment matching the ear's volume reception (also called logarithmic fader curve). Stupid AV receivers and DACs often use 0.5 dB steps all the way, making it a catastrophy changing from high to low volume. Not so with RME as additionally you also have accelleration, means turing the encoder/wheel more quickly will give bigger steps. Finally not all units have the same step sizes.

That gives a long table of values...

Sorry again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm really sorry for fast negative response, also my family member get seriously ill, that partly explains my state and reaction. Realy very sorry and thank you.

Nice that you say that .. good health ..

415 (edited by OmegaStylesBC 2017-06-08 07:53:16)

I checked the Babyface Pro manual & it shows 44,100 rate, but is that also for ADAT? I've read that ADAT is only usable at 48,000hz?

Also for browsing youtube or listening to itunes, while also having the DAW open can cause problems? I've read other forum posts where windows programs like youtube, itunes, etc. can only operate at 44,100?

reason i ask is, if I had ADAT unit connected for extra channels operating at 48,000hz, would I never be able to use youtube or itunes while the ADAT unit or DAW is open & connected?

would I have to close out of the DAW & switch the system rate back to 44,100hz, in order to run youtube, itunes or any other windows program (audacity, sound forge 11, wmp)?

i've never used ADAT before so I have no real world experience of how it operates. hopefully I could run ADAT at 44,100, so everything I have open on the PC would run at the same rate, without having to close & re-open programs, etc.

thank you

Adat can run at 44k too. I have 3 devices connected and never leave 44k in my studio.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

417 (edited by OmegaStylesBC 2017-06-08 19:11:03)

ok good, that's what I was hoping to hear.

one more noob question. what's the best way to power on/off the Babyface, when using USB bus power? Do you keep it on all the time or unplug the cable every time? just wondering why some devices like the Babyface (Pro) and Digiface USB, etc. don't have power on/off switches.

Im newbie to this home recording stuff so bare with me is there a way i could connect my baby face pro directly to my delta 1010lt soundcard i dont want to use usb connection since i heard theres latency issues with usb...if so what would i need to connect to my sound card...

Can any one please help me set up rme baby face pro with fl studio please im new to all this so any help would be very appreciated

420 (edited by ramses 2017-06-19 16:40:14)

1. Install the RME ASIO driver
2. Configure FL S to use the RME ASIO driver

And then here to boost your knowledge about TotalMix FX:

RME Tutorial Videos: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … al-Videos/

My Primer in DE and EN: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … teps-DE-E/

So, is the instrument input impedance 1MOhm or 470kOhm? In the manual and the webpage it says the latter.

Where it says 1 MOhm ?

Earlier in this thread, this was about the differences between Babyface and Babyface Pro.

MC wrote:

The AD converter has less noise and distortion and the impedance has been changed from 470 kOhm to 1M. But I highly doubt you would notice any difference in real world usage.

Hello!

I am really satisfied with my BFP. However, I wonder one thing about the phones (CH 3/4) output. Is it possible to have separate volumes for these channels? I guess not after reading the manual, but I would like to have this confirmed.
Also, is it possible that this will be possible in the future with new software or is it limited due to the physical design?

Thanks in advance!

Two outputs fed from one DAC - so there is only one volume control possible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

426 (edited by doteater 2017-07-05 18:25:20)

My question is about wanting to use two Warm Audio WA12 Preamps in lines 3+4 so I can record four channels simultaneously.
I know it's recommended to go into input 1+2 as it's a balanced out from the preamp but then I won't get my 4 ins.
So am I losing quality from the external pre using input 3+4?
Also it might just be cos it comes in hotter but I sort of liked the sound I got when I set inputs 3+4 to "-10db" rather than "+4db".
Again, am I losing something by doing that? I understand +4 seems to mean I can drive the preamp in hotter, so more dynamic range? Is that it? It just sounded better to me at -10, but I don't know.

Is there anyone out there living in Western Australia who has a babyfacepro and is able to teach me the basics of totalmix fx? I've looked at the youtube RME tutorials but am still confused.

hipno515 wrote:

Is there anyone out there living in Western Australia who has a babyfacepro and is able to teach me the basics of totalmix fx? I've looked at the youtube RME tutorials but am still confused.

I have something for you, please look into my blog article, the english version is behind the german version:

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … rnal-equi/

Thank you for your quick response. Scrolled to the English version. Step by step as you mentioned in your last paragraph. I'll get familiar with bfp eventually!

Don't give up and give it some time. Before I had RME I was using a Tascam Analog Mixer M-30, then Terratec EWS 88MT, then Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56.

With the Tascam I had very often to look into the Manual because it had so much patch and routing possibilities for an analog piece of HW. The Terratec EWS was more smth like the new RME "DAW Mode" which simply passed everything to the DAW. With the Focusrite Mixcontrol approach I didnt feel comfortably becasue the GUI design didn't give me the understanding for the desired routing. I didnt get the devs idea why they made it like this. And if you get into that area only from time to time, then you forget and start new.

TotalMix FX is for me personally the 1st mixer that is logic / understandable.

You only need to stay in submix mode and the you click on an output
to see what inputs (from recording interface) and playback channels (from Windows / DAW) are active.
This is IMHO very intuitive.

If you want to see the big picture "at once" (if you do not want to click every channel and check the routing)
then you have the matrix view which visualizes routing as a matrix where you see any to any routing in one
picture.

The next best thing IMHO is that you can store your main routings or "use cases" in the 8 snapshot slots and give it a name for easy recall of routing and this you can save in 30 workspaces (8x30 slots to store/recall from).

Give it some time, you will love it !

Hello, I have a problem with connection XLR outs on stage.
My scenario: Babyface pro XLR -> t-rex polyswitch-> 2 DI's
I made the cable XLR - TRS with pin 3 of the XLR unconnected (as manual says) and I hear a lot of noise mixed with signal.

So. The drivers for the Babyface Pro were showing up under my Sound Settings in Windows 8 and recently they just vanished... I have tried to reinstall the RME drivers but they still won't show up under my Windows Hardware\Sound Settings. The only options to select an audio device for playback is stuff from RealTek HD etc. I've tried installing the drivers with the Babyface Pro in different USB slots and still, no avail. The thing is,Total Mix still picks up a signal, and I still get sound out of Ableton through my studio monitors. I'm really confused sad

Anybody else have a problem like this or a solution to this conundrum?

(Everything as far as the interface is concerned is up to date, firm ware, etc.)

BF Pro Settings dialog - Number of WDM devices = 0. Change to 1.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

krovzhavoronkov wrote:

Hello, I have a problem with connection XLR outs on stage.
My scenario: Babyface pro XLR -> t-rex polyswitch-> 2 DI's
I made the cable XLR - TRS with pin 3 of the XLR unconnected (as manual says) and I hear a lot of noise mixed with signal.

I´m not totally sure, but if you want to make a balanced signal to a unbalanced one I think you need a TS plug, not TRS

hbuus wrote:

Can you adjust how much the headphone volume should rise or fall pr. nudge with the wheel?

The "jumps" between each volume step are too large currently, I find, making the sound either a little too loud or a little too quiet.

The main output is 3db increments

Hey there,

I bought a Babyface pro for my mobile sound equip (Mac)and I'm using the UCX (PC) in my home studio. When I'm connecting my Babyface to the Mac everything is just fine and the Babyface gets recognized, but only as one single sound device while the UCX get's recognized as many in/ouputs. Now my question is: Is this about the Babyface, or the Mac sound settings, or did I do anything wrong? Because this way I can't really channel all my different System sounds into different mixes, since they're all just go into one channel.

Hope I made my problem clear. If not, I can probably post some pictures later on.

Thanks for your help and sorry if this is the wrong thread. I'm happy to repost if necessary.

Kind regards

Diemen

Not clear. System sound can only be assigned to one stereo output at a time. The BF Pro gets recognized as multi-channel I/O, it cannot be configured to show up as stereo only.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Not sure if I understood this right: So there is no option to assign an internal audio source (e.g. music player or VoIP software) to a specific stereo out? The whole system needs to be bundled into one? Because that's exactly what is the power of total mix for me: Splitting up the audio to different channels to record them separately (while podcasting for example separating the music from the VoIP channel) So is this a special in the UCX interface or in Windows?

http://war-klar.de/PicShare/RME/Screenshot%202017-10-11%2007.32.24.png

More than obviously (IMHO) a single system sound setting can not cause multiple outputs. The simple point is that the app that you use needs to support multi I/O. Logic does, Reaper does, Cubase does etc. Podcast, Safari, iTunes, they all use the one single system output that you assigned on the first pic, and there is no way to split that into different outputs.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello, can I check babyface pro in as luggage on a 10hour flight? it might get cold there, is it dangerous?

When new, they are shipped all over the world by a wide variety of carriers. Can't imagine a short journey by plane will cause any issues.

Specs on page 76 of manual indicate temperature range of +5 ~ +50C (I assume this is operating range, not storage or transport).

Hello! Tell me please BF Pro is better fireface UCX, if you do not consider the number of channels?

Better in what regards exactly ? What are your priorities ?

444 (edited by Nugo 2017-10-25 19:11:17)

I plan to expand on the number of instruments basically synthesizers, as well as connecting an additional pair of monitors and I would like to know whether I will lose a lot in sound quality and other characteristics if I purchase UCX or better still buy a newer product but with fewer BF Pro connections since it probably surpasses UCX.

The difference between UCX and BF Pro will not be huge.
What you could eventually also think of is to get the UFX to a reduced price as long as it is still available.
Since the new flagship interfaces UFX+ and UFX II are out, the former flagship interface UFX has been much reduced in price.
I would think about getting an UFX for ~€1599 as long as it is in the market.
I assume it won't be produced anymore and the shops sell what they have on stock.

This is a cool and last occasion to get i.e. Durec and full stand-alone capabilities to a very nice price.

To compare the devices, look at my sheet here ...
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php … 17-01-pdf/

(Original blog article from me: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … -MADIfac/)

At the moment I'm not ready to pay such a sum, and in the near future I will not need the functions of UFX ... Maybe soon it is planned to update UCX to the new version?

doteater wrote:

My question is about wanting to use two Warm Audio WA12 Preamps in lines 3+4 so I can record four channels simultaneously.
I know it's recommended to go into input 1+2 as it's a balanced out from the preamp but then I won't get my 4 ins.
So am I losing quality from the external pre using input 3+4?
Also it might just be cos it comes in hotter but I sort of liked the sound I got when I set inputs 3+4 to "-10db" rather than "+4db".
Again, am I losing something by doing that? I understand +4 seems to mean I can drive the preamp in hotter, so more dynamic range? Is that it? It just sounded better to me at -10, but I don't know.

I don't see that anyone answered this, and I'm wondering the same thing (although with a different brand of external preamp).  Can anyone shed some light on the pros and cons and how-to's of using in 3/4 for balanced outs from external pres?

Tell me please, is it possible to use inputs 1-2 in Babyface PRO as linear / instrumental for connecting synthesizers?

Hello,

Will using a 1/4” TRS cable into one of the mic/line inputs completely bypasses the preamp circuitry, and is not just a padded signal to bring it down to line level?

Thanks!

jcrakes wrote:

Hello,

Will using a 1/4” TRS cable into one of the mic/line inputs completely bypasses the preamp circuitry, and is not just a padded signal to bring it down to line level?

Thanks!

Bump... smile