Topic: UFX Basic concert recording...

Hi out there,

I tried the UFX fully standalone out of the studio for the 1st time, with a basic orchestra concert recording:  4 mics, record to 4 tracks, mix (analog 1-2 outs) recorded to additional 2 tracks, monitor with phones only from 9-10.  It worked, but I wasn't able to get a real understanding of the routing.

I got the input channels working and recorded.  I selected Analog 1-2 for the Control Room Main Out (even though I wasn't actually using the physical outputs for anything).  Then I created (and recorded) a mix to Analog out 1-2 from the 4 inputs.  Shouldn't this mix also be duplicated at outs 9-12 for headphones?  If so, I thought it was odd that I could go into the mix for outs 9-12 and create a separate mix.

And also, there are no channel solos (PFL or AFL) available operating without TotalMix, correct?

Maybe I didn't do this in the way that best works with for the UFX?

Thanks,
Brian

Re: UFX Basic concert recording...

I'm not clear on some of what you're saying. Particulary the middle..

"...  Then I created (and recorded) a mix to Analog out 1-2 from the 4 inputs.  Shouldn't this mix also be duplicated at outs 9-12 for headphones?  If so, I thought it was odd that I could go into the mix for outs 9-12 and create a separate mix."

Is this routing and during the initial recording, or 'post?
(I've never done other than load the tracks into the DAW and mixed.)

"And also, there are no channel solos (PFL or AFL) available operating without TotalMix, correct?"
That one I'd have to 'look up. ( my live 'record gigs are all 'setup and play :>)

Re: UFX Basic concert recording...

Standalone is good, especially recording to USB stick with DURec.  But control via TotalMixFX is when it comes alive.

If you wish to avoid using a laptop/PC host, then an alternative is setting the UFX is CC (Core Compliant mode) and controlling it via TotalMixFX running on an Pad.  Easy enough - a couple of practical hints about traps to watch out for. A lot more can be done easily and quickly using that configuration, and the packing/carrying load is very little different.

All the operations you are discussing are carried out within the UFX itself - TotalMix is a more manageable control system than the UFXs front panel.

The most important thing is to spend a lot of time reading the UFX manual, especially the operations section, and the block diagrams.  Fully understanding what is described there  is the key to enjoyment. There is a lot of information there - the amount sometimes obscures the clarity.  As in any system, increased efficiency usually comes at the price of increased complexity.

I have been using the UFX for the best part of a decade, principally on orchestra recording but sometimes for managing sound at live events at the same time. I'm still learning, and RME are constantly adding new features to the control system.  Keep at it - it's worth it!

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum