Topic: Fireface UFX-difficulties syncing with ADAT (blinking lights)

Hello, everyone.

I am having a syncing issue with the RME Fireface UFX, as I am attempting to add more inputs with a Presonus Firestudio.

I connected all four ADAT (Toslink) cables and a BNC Cable for the Word Clock from the RME output to the Presonus Input. I have the RME set for 44.1kHz. However, the ADAT lights blink, and no audio works through TotalMix.

If I change the Clock Source from "Internal" to "ADAT1", the input status box below changes, indicating ADAT1 and ADAT2 are syncing (before that, it said"Lock") and remains 48 kHz. No audio passes through TotalMix.

I have tried some of the other Clock Mode settings and nothing seems to work.

I've switched the various Toslink cables with new ones or old ones or changed them, and that does not seem to be the issue. The cables all work, they all show light, and they all appear to be in great condition. Please advise, thanks!

Additional info in case it matters: OS 10.7.5 on Mac 1,1; Pro Tools 10.3; Fireface UFX; Fireface driver version 3.32; Presonus Firestudio.

Re: Fireface UFX-difficulties syncing with ADAT (blinking lights)

Start simple! Most simple is the presonus as master. One toslink cable from adat out of firestudio to adat in of RME. Make sure the firestudio is set to master at the correct sample rate. Set the UFX to sync to adat 1. Now you should be able to send audio from the firestudio to the UFX. If this works and only then connect the second adat cable. Now you can send audio to the firestudio. Never use the wordclock cable (WC is a last resort when for example a device has no digital in).
If you want the ufx as master, do it like this: One adat cable from UFX out to firestudio in. Make sure the ufx is set to internal at the correct sample rate. Now set the presonus to sync to adat in. Now you can send audio from rme to presonus. If that works connect the second adat cable. Still no wordclock needed.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Also read this http://forumsarchive.presonus.com/posts/list/38607.page it might be needed to have the prosonus connected to firewire using its control panel on the computer to get full functionality. I have the same issue with a Tascam FW1804 which needs to be connected to a computer for the adat out to work.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Thanks. I definitely want the UFX to be the master interface. The presonus has never been very reliable, and I was trying to get rid of it until I thought I might be able to use it to get more inputs.

I will probably try to hook it up via FW to the computer at some point. I halfheartedly attempted to do so, but when I saw the drivers were no longer responding, I gave up. I was really hoping that I wouldn't need to have it hooked up to the computer. And I am happy to hear there is no WC needed. I tried that as a last resort since the ADATs weren't syncing. I'll try this a few different ways and see where it gets me. Thanks.

Since the ufx has steadyclock, it might not be an issue to use it as slave when you need to use the presonus. If you need to use the presonus always it might be worth trying to get it to work but for occasional work it is fine. That is if the presonus outputs adat in stand alone mode (and at the correct sample rate).

Vincent, Amsterdam

Hooked up Presonus via FW, downloaded Universal Control (the driver for Presonus), switched it to 44.1kHz, and....nothing. Same result as before.

I switched to RME because I was tired of Presonus issues, such as continually changing the settings every time I booted the computer, sync issues, and other things. RME has been a dream. Looks like the Presonus is still problematic. This was something where, since I was having trouble selling the Presonus for even as little as $159 on reverb.com, I thought I might use it as additional inputs. Not sure if that's going to happen. I have sent Sweetwater an email since I purchased both audio interfaces from them, and I'll see what they say. If it's not an easy sell, then I'll re-sell it for whatever I can get for it.

Anyway, thanks for your help! If I get it working or have any additional insight, I'll post here in the event that it helps others.