Topic: What's a good second unit to sync with Fireface UFX? Recommendations?

Hey, I have an RME Fireface UFX. It has eight inputs, and 90% of the time, that's enough. But there are times in which I might need a few more, and I'd like to get an inexpensive second unit to hook up easily with the UFX to provide additional mic or line inputs. What would you recommend that is easy on the pocketbook but easily syncs with the Fireface? Thanks!

(I ask because I am trying to hook up an old Presonus Firestudio that I was previously trying to sell, and it doesn't seem to be going well).

Re: What's a good second unit to sync with Fireface UFX? Recommendations?

Blueberry Buddha wrote:

Hey, I have an RME Fireface UFX. It has eight inputs, and 90% of the time, that's enough. But there are times in which I might need a few more, and I'd like to get an inexpensive second unit to hook up easily with the UFX to provide additional mic or line inputs. What would you recommend that is easy on the pocketbook but easily syncs with the Fireface? Thanks!

(I ask because I am trying to hook up an old Presonus Firestudio that I was previously trying to sell, and it doesn't seem to be going well).

Basically
Any unit that takes your fancy that has adat I/o

At the very bottom end Beringer ad8200, next step up in price and sound would be maybe a focusrite octapre.. next step maybe an Audient asp800...

In my opinion the best match for my ufx has been the rme octamic xtc.. you can even control the xtc through the totalmix at the same time as the ufx.. (pads/levels/autogain/pan etc) and therefore recall everything of the ufx and xtc together.
Xtc is solid rme kit... 5year warranty etc.
But the xtc is not cheap!

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

3 (edited by ramses 2017-11-23 22:32:06)

Re: What's a good second unit to sync with Fireface UFX? Recommendations?

Octamic XTC is the only RME device that can be integrated into TM FX as so called "AUX device".
Thus you can save all those settings into the snapshot of this one TM FX instance.
I have 2 XTC connected via MADI to the UFX+.
But I think via ADAT it should be the same.

XTC is a very versatile unit, see the product page.
You can use it as preamp but those 8 XLR INPUTs can also be used as symmetric LINE INputs as well.
By this it saves you the separate purchase of an AD converter.
Via TRS plugs 1..4 save as symmetric line INs with PAD and 5..8 serve for TS plugs as INSTR inputs.
You can use the 4 analog outs either for phones or to add 4 additional line outs for your UFX.
You can use it as format converter between between analog and digital outputs (ADAT, MADI, AES).
You can use it in class compliant mode to connect it under Windows and iPAD as recording interface.

Extremely versatile unit !

Some information you can read here in my blog (sorry only available in german)
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … Cber-MADI/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13