Topic: ADI-2 Pro / AE Firmware Update 150 DSP 85

A new firmware for the ADI-2 Pro and AE is now available. Version 150/85 is a small, yet very useful and important update.

Fixes
- Since DSP firmware 83 the DC offset correction values that are programmed into the unit in the factory were no longer applied to Phones 3/4 (Phones 1/2 still worked). V 85 activates them again, DC at the phones jack will not be higher than 0.1 mV (yes, millivolt) then, even in Hi-Power state.

New
- Option Meter Color in SETUP - Hardware / Diagnosis. In case you liked the blue DSD meter color more than the current green one for PCM, this new option gives you the choice to activate the former DSD color for PCM. In case of DSD the color changes to an even deeper blue.

- Band 1 of the PEQ now has the option to activate a Hi-Cut, which was formerly only available in Band 5 and limited to 200 Hz. Users that use the ADI-2 Pro as crossover filter for a subwoofer can now use Band 1 down to 20 Hz for that.

Changed
- All settings in Hardware / Diagnosis except for the Tint Control are now saved in a Setup, and can be reloaded by a Setup. This includes all Remap Keys, Brightness, Meter Color and Display Mode.

- Switching off the unit (into Standby) now requires to push the button for half a second. This prevents accidental and unintentional switching off.

- Low Vol Ref (in Loudness) has been extended from -80 dB down to -90 dB. The reason is...

Improved and New - dBr
...the new Volume display when using the Auto Ref Level function. When you activate Auto Ref Level and change volume, the volume digits jump back and forth whenever the hardware reference level is changed. It gives a perfect insight into how this feature works and what it does. Yet nobody needs or wants to know that. What one needs is a constant, not changing volume display, where you can rely on the values that you see. To quote forum user Basken: 'My request is to be able to look at the volume level on the display, and determine how loud the converter output will be'. Fully correct, and I have no clue how we could overlook this for so long (and why nobody else complained).

Our solution is that whenever Auto Ref Level is active the volume is shown as dBr (dB relative). On the Line Out the full volume range is now from +6 dBr down to -116.3 dBr (former volume range plus 20 dB hardware extension).

This change also fixes a slight deviation of the Loudness control at higher Low Vol Ref settings when ARL is active. And because in ARL mode the dB(r) value is now usually a bit lower as before, we adjusted the Low Vol Ref's lowest value accordingly.

We are pretty sure you will love this new/improved feature!

Firmware download:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … in_new.zip

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ac_new.zip

Please report back here if you think you found a bug or error.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: ADI-2 Pro / AE Firmware Update 150 DSP 85

very cool, many thanks for all the efforts !

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

MC wrote:

Improved and New - dBr
...the new Volume display when using the Auto Ref Level function. When you activate Auto Ref Level and change volume, the volume digits jump back and forth whenever the hardware reference level is changed. It gives a perfect insight into how this feature works and what it does. Yet nobody needs or wants to know that. What one needs is a constant, not changing volume display, where you can rely on the values that you see. To quote forum user Basken: 'My request is to be able to look at the volume level on the display, and determine how loud the converter output will be'.

Fully correct, and I have no clue how we could overlook this for so long (and why nobody else complained).

If you use it primarily for phones there was no reason to complain as

"It gives a perfect insight into how this feature works and what it does" .. wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

MC wrote:

- Switching off the unit (into Standby) now requires to push the button for half a second. This prevents accidental and unintentional switching off.

even though this was supposed to be fixed in the last firmware (did not work for me)
this finally fixed the loud pop noise appearing in the speakers when the unit was turned off, nice! smile

5 (edited by Basken 2017-12-04 12:51:24)

MC wrote:

On the Line Out the full volume range is now from +6 dBr down to -116.3 dBr (former volume range plus 20 dB hardware extension).

.. so - just to make sure i'm understanding this correctly - +0dBr equals no attenuation to the digital signal @ +24dBu and the >+0dBr range is strictly digital gain?

Rune Borup @ FishCorp
Producer / Engineer / Composer
RayDAT > 2 x ADI-8 QS | AES+SPDIF > ADI-2 Pro

Both correct. 0 dBr is 0 dBFS with the highest ref level on the respective output. Easy to calculate the real output level then:

-33 dBr on rear Main out XLR is +24 dBu minus 33 = -9 dBu

-40 dBr on PH 3/4 is +22 dBu minus 40 = -18 dBu

Etc.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

"- Option Meter Color in SETUP - Hardware / Diagnosis. In case you liked the blue DSD meter color more than the current green one for PCM, this new option gives you the choice to activate the former DSD color for PCM. In case of DSD the color changes to an even deeper blue."

Only found Cyan - and it doesnt look like Cyan!

MC wrote:

Please report back here if you think you found a bug or error.

Not an error - just an observation ..

Before the dBr implementation, the "acceleration-curve" of the volume control was pretty much perfect for the gain of my system, but now that my working level has been lowered 20db(r), the value-increments are a liiittle jumpy. Perhaps you could consider adjusting the acceleration to yield the same response over the new dBr range?

All the best,
Rune

Rune Borup @ FishCorp
Producer / Engineer / Composer
RayDAT > 2 x ADI-8 QS | AES+SPDIF > ADI-2 Pro

That is a subjective impression - and it is wrong. The accelaration and gain steps have not changed at all, they are still based on the internal dB value. Just the display shows a different value now. I have compared two units side by side, firmware 83 and 85 in ARL mode for outputs 1/2. Acceleration is absolutely identical.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

- Option Meter Color in SETUP - Hardware / Diagnosis. In case you liked the blue DSD meter color more than the current green one for PCM, this new option gives you the choice to activate the former DSD color for PCM. In case of DSD the color changes to an even deeper blue.

Clever, smart, way easier on the eyes... and it's cool to be able to switch between hues when working in contexts that require bright or dim setups, even though brightness control was there already before this last update, blue... no, sorry, cyan is softer (and a welcome addition to PCM format users).

MC wrote:

- Band 1 of the PEQ now has the option to activate a Hi-Cut, which was formerly only available in Band 5 and limited to 200 Hz. Users that use the ADI-2 Pro as crossover filter for a subwoofer can now use Band 1 down to 20 Hz for that...

...which will make best use of those speakers that have been left idling for years in the treasure corner: this is yet another precious gift!

MC wrote:

Changed
- All settings in Hardware / Diagnosis except for the Tint Control are now saved in a Setup, and can be reloaded by a Setup. This includes all Remap Keys, Brightness, Meter Color and Display Mode.

(this one makes the ADI-2 Pro now even more comfortable, and brings peace of mind within any day's reach).

MC wrote:

...and here we go with the icing on the cake: it just happened on a loud, very loud listening session, on a big, very big PA, and the unexpected silence thrown in without forewarning scared the whole crew real bad. Knowing it will just be less likely to happen... makes it a lot less likely to happen.

MC wrote:

We are pretty sure you will love this new/improved feature!

Be sure, I love 'em all! And are grateful to you and your whole team for the ongoing, substantial improvement of an already unrivalled, game-changing device, indeed. Bravo!

But when replugging power,  the device will automatically turn on not into standy mode.

Only if it was switched on before and not turned off via the standby button. That hasn't changed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I updated the firmware and downloaded the digi-check software on my mac. I did not know about this software until today. It is helpful.
Will the Total Mix software work with my ADI2 Pro?

My unit is 7 months old.

The ADI-2 Pro does not use TotalMix.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

jmatus wrote:

Will the Total Mix software work with my ADI2 Pro?

If you need TotalMix FX then you can do this like described in my blog article and even integrate an ARC USB into this concept:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ort-DE-EN/