Topic: New RME UCX II, or UCX + ???

Hi,

I was wondering if and when, a new RME UCX II, or UCX+ is going to come out?
With the same(or better) features as UFX II, like better preamps, better converters, lower latency with stability, durec, screen and also 2 headphone preamps.
Maybe with more than one connection types, like usb3, usb type c, thunderbolt 3, not for bigger channel count, but for lower latency, better workflow and future proof operation.
It would be also nice, if you could add a selection of amp/cabinet simulators in Total Mix FX, with good quality, so that someone could also record with it.
That would be ideal upgrading to, from my 10 year old FF400, as I don't need the channel count of the UFXII(or UFX+), but I need the best sound quality, power and stability available.

And of course all that, at a good price(around 1000-1200 euros)!!!

2000 euros for UFXII that has a channel count I won't ever use(I've never even used the adat port on my FF400 in 10 years.Only all the analog inputs.It's nice to have though...) is out of my budget.

Thanks!

2 (edited by ramses 2017-12-18 15:30:08)

Re: New RME UCX II, or UCX + ???

> It would be also nice, if you could add a selection of amp/cabinet simulators in Total Mix FX,
> with good quality, so that someone could also record with it

TM FX is perfect as it is now. Designed and developed to the actual demand.

There are too many examples in the software industrie where good products start to mutate to
"bloatware" and along with increased complexity comes instability and finally dissatisfation on customer side.

If you need an amp simulation, get a good one as
- outboard equipment, i.e. Kemper
- Standalone product or
- DAW plugin

Same question arose in terms of VST support. Same story. Need VSTs ? Go get DAW.
You see already in DAWs how a mix of different VSTs can impact the stability of the application.
There is a reason, why newer versions of Cubase have a VST blacklist built-in.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: New RME UCX II, or UCX + ???

Hi ramses!

I already have a daw.
Cubase.
I was wondering if it would be possible to have amp/cabinet simulators in total mix fx, so that I could run my daw at higher buffer sizes and direct monitor my playing(or record it) through dsp, with zero latency.
If I for example, have recorded a large number of tracks, including vst's and vsti's and want to add some electric guitar parts, it would be very difficult to monitor through daw plugins and keep the buffers low, unless I freeze everything.
If I record through an external hardware amp sim unit, I will have to either commit to the current sound, or split my signal(if possible) for later reamping through plugins.

By the way, have you heard of UAD, or Antelope audio interfaces?
How do they do that and RME can't?

I believe that in the future, if the term "latency" won't "disappear" completely(I mean if everything, even large track count productions can run smoothly at near zero latency), every company will eventually have vst's on dsp cards.
RME already did that, with the transition from the old total mix, to the new total mix fx, with eq, dynamics, reverb, echo.
Why not amp/cabinet sims?
It doesn't have to be in vst format.
I don't care about the graphics.