Topic: Totalyzer and Spectrum Analyzer not working...

Hi

I have a RME 9632 card, and I am running digicheck 4.5 (i also tried the latest Digicheck 4.53 on the website, and its not working either)

I can monitor the levels, via the 2 channel meter, and 4 channel meter...but If I select say Totalyzer...no display.

In the input settings I have selected ASIO playback device, and Analog 1/2

I am running Sonar 7.02

any thoughts?

thanks in advance

Wiz

Re: Totalyzer and Spectrum Analyzer not working...

Wiz, aren't your running driver version 2.94?  If so, you may need an earlier version of DC. Hopefully Daniel or Matthias will clarify.

--Dean

HDSP9652 w/ AEB4-I/O - FireFace800 - 2 x Presonus Digimax FS - FriendChip DMX16/18

Hey Dean

long time no talk to...8)..

yep driver 2.94...wonder if thats it...??

anyone?

thnks

Wiz

Hi,

please update the driver.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel...

unfortunately, If I update the driver, I get BSOD's with minidump calling out Hdsp.sys...8(...

this is something I guess i have to live with , till RME come up with a fix for the BSOD's..

thanks for the reply...

Wiz

Hi,

Concerning bluescreens, for now I can only recommend this fryingpan cool (Sorry, couldn't resist...)
Have you tried 3.059?
You may not like to hear this, but if there were a general problem with 3.x here, I assume we'd see a lot more such customer feedback. But I have very little (if any) of it in my support mailbox.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

You know Daniel...you are right...I dont like to hear it.

You know, I understand, that sometimes when we are dealing with just the written word..and we also have a difference of cultures..sometimes things are misinterpreted....when I first read this reply, I was pretty angry...but , its prudent for me to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I brought this problem to RME's attention, well, practically a year ago, also, to the support representative, in the country which I live...Australia...

zero has been done about it...to my knowledge, nothing I have read anywhere has said RME is even working on solving the issue.....I asked RME if they wanted all my information, RME said no...

RME sent me off testing everything under the sun, memory, PCI slots etc...it was only when I conclusively proved it was the RME drivers (above 2.94) at fault...with the help of Vin Curigliano, the DAW builder who built my machine, by analysing memory dumps etc...that RME accepted that there was an issue...at least in Australia.

Nothing happened ...and nothing has...I am sitting at 2.94 and have a working system...I go to any driver above it, and it BSODS...no I havent tried 3.059, after 6 months of BSOD crashes, and then solving the problem myself..I am happy to have a working system...

So, I go to try to use DIGICHECK and find I cant, ask for help, and am told the only thing is to update the driver...great...I update the driver, and then what? BSOD Hell again, has anything changed in that driver that  would resolve any issue related to that?

I read on this group, in another post , that RME were well aware of the problem (BSOD), and not to submit anything...so no wonder you dont get anything in your mail box...I can fill it for you if you like...8)...

Mate, its very frustrating...and sometimes RME support comes across quite gruff....almost dismissive.

Dont forget, I am a customer, who purcahsed an RME interface, above all others, because of the reliability and service, I was told is top notch...lets hope it is...

Wiz

Sorry, but a few things in your post are mixed up a bit. You CAN use DIGICheck of course, but not the latest version, which evolved as the driver evolved. Therefore we still provide the older version on our website for download.

Second the BSODs where I commented on will be examined soon, but from your short description it seems that you are talking about another kind of BSOD, where I am not sure that it can be fixed at all without having your hardware in our lab. And yes, for you 3.059 will definitely not change anything. But I hope that our next fixes will improve your situation too.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Wiz,

what I was trying to say was this: The 3.x drivers have been out for well over a year (plus an extended beta testing period). If there were a general and ongoing issue of the driver actually causing BSODs, you can be sure the forum, the newsgroup, and all support mailboxes would have been full of it ever since. But there are thousands of HDSP users out there with no BSODs ever. I've personally not seen a BSOD with any version of the 3.x driver, AFAIR.

Wiz wrote:

I brought this problem to RME's attention, well, practically a year ago, also, to the support representative, in the country which I live...Australia...
zero has been done about it...to my knowledge, nothing I have read anywhere has said RME is even working on solving the issue...
RME sent me off testing everything under the sun, memory, PCI slots etc...it was only when I conclusively proved it was the RME drivers (above 2.94) at fault...with the help of Vin Curigliano, the DAW builder who built my machine, by analysing memory dumps etc...that RME accepted that there was an issue...at least in Australia.

While I'm not aware of these tests (and don't recall hearing about the matter), I would say that they might have proven the driver was in some way involved, but not that it was the actual cause of the crash (which will probably appear as nitpicking to you, sorry).
Mind you, I am not even denying that possibility. There is a certain theoretical chance of the driver causing a problem in your particular hardware setup. But it could just as well be an individual issue of your entire system (not just the driver), please don't rule this out entirely. Was the issue limited to Sonar? Did you try other software?

Nothing happened ...and nothing has...

Again, I know this is not satisfying for you, but to fix an issue, we need to be able to reproduce it first. Else, what can we do?

So, I go to try to use DIGICHECK and find I cant, ask for help, and am told the only thing is to update the driver

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to the fact that you were the one with this particular problem when I suggested to update the driver (and you didn't mention it). Fact is that the latest version of DC needs an updated driver.

Kind regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

thank you both for your responses...

I understand the complexities and interaction of pieces of hardware, and software in computers...I am an ex mainframe engineer from Digital Equipment Corporation, different hardware, same principles..

I also understand the sum of the parts,can often just not play well....which is why, I went to a professional DAW builder of solid reputation...I have the technical ability to build my own computers, but , because of the flaky interactive nature of softare/hardware/audio interfaces , I really just wanted to get something reliable, and get on with the job of making music...so I bought the best I could, which included RME hardware...

As fate would dictate it, I got a really tough problem, that even my DAW builder hadnt come across, and neither had any of the other Professional DAW building companies...

It took Vin and I months to track this down..and come up with a working solution...I am sure, its a conflict issue, something wrong between running Sonar, UAD cards (2), and the RME 9632...but, each and every crash called out hdsp.sys...so what can you do?  but think that the 9632 is at fault....

These things as you know are a pain to track down, particularly when its intermittent, and you cant reproduce it on demand, and the time varies between failure....

As the customer and end user...it often feels like everyone points the finger at everyone else...manufacturer wise...

Its very frustrating, but, where we are with technology, the nature of the beast I guess....

I resolved the issue, essentially myself..and have a working stable system...touch wood...and thats all I wanted...its just a shame it took me so long to get there....it would be nice to use the full functions of Digicheck, but there is no way I am going up in software rev , until I am at least hopefull the prob will be resolved...

there seems to be a fair amount of problems around with multi core cpus and audio software, I am obviously more across it with sonar than other daw packages...

anyways...thank you for your responses...

I understand the reality of my situation....

Wiz