Topic: clipping when phantom power is being switched on/off

Hi,

I have a question about using the condenser mic settings in Totalmix FX.

When I switch 48V on and especially off I get HUGE clips of volume every time... I just take off my headphones while doing it but I fear it may end up damaging my mic still so I'd like to know if there's any way I can fix this...

If relevant:
Using Windows 10 with Fireface UCX and a TLM 102 mic.
On Totalmix, "Hardware input Mic1" boost is set to 10dB and while recording vocals I get a volume reading of around -30dbfs (which i think is way too low anyhow). when I switch on I get a spike of -2db, when off 0VR and red lights.

Re: clipping when phantom power is being switched on/off

The sudden appearance of 48 volts makes a pop on just about any system which supplies phantom power.

It's normal. Your mic will not be harmed.

It's good practice to have your mic pre-amps' gain turned down before turning phantom powering on or off, and to turn down the volume of your headphones and/or speakers.

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

Note that the UCX (all our interfaces) have a soft switch on/off for the 48 V. If there is an extreme sound/noise to hear then it is most probably caused by the microphone's own electronics. Also: what prevents you from muting the channel before changing the +48V state?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

for some reason in totalmix NONE of my mute buttons seem to be working... maybe it's the way i've set up total mix i'm not sure...  anyhow i guess i have to open total mix and select both phones and my main output channel and lower their volume faders back and forth each time... i wish there was a button for this, or I could simply make the M buttons work.

any idea why the volume is so low? the peaking sound is at 0, while my vocal recordings are at -30db... i had no issues with my old sound card.

Do you have Global mute on?

Sonicimage studio
RME FF UFX, XTC, ADI-648, MADIface USB
W10 Pro 64bit

Jayzteroid wrote:

Do you have Global mute on?

you were right I didn't have it on and that was why... thank you so much!