Topic: Fireface 400 powered headphone out - does it need AC adapter?

Hi,

I've just bought some Sennheiser HD600 headphones, and am finding I'm only just getting enough volume from the powered headphone out (outs 7/8). However I'm currently powering the unit through the firewire cable to my PC.

Would it make a difference if I powered the Fireface 400 with a suitable AC adapter?

And yes I know I could just try, but can't find the power supply it came with (if one was included??) so just want to check this would make any difference before buying a replacement.

Thanks!

Re: Fireface 400 powered headphone out - does it need AC adapter?

You did not set Phones out 7/8 to Hi Gain. No change with the AC adapter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by alligatorlizard 2017-12-31 17:51:49)

MC wrote:

You did not set Phones out 7/8 to Hi Gain. No change with the AC adapter.

You're completely right, I had the 7/8 outs set at -10! Had the main outs set at +4 so presumed 7/8 were also at that, didn't realise you could set separately.

Anyway, 7/8 set at +4 now and is fine.

And yes, high gain gives even more volume if I ever need it. Or should I being using this setting for high impedance headphones even if I don't need the full volume range??

tbh I've never really understood these 3 gain options, just left at defaults so far - probably this should be a different thread, but could anyone confirm, is there any reason, in terms of sound quality to choose one over the other? (I'm asking re. monitoprs - AX7's - as well as headphones)The only difference is the maximum volume available, right? I know it mentions headroom in the manual, but not sure what this means in this case - in the digital realm, there's never any headroom is there, as digital clips over 0db?

For output set something that 0 dB dont hurt too much wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13