1 (edited by frednugent 2017-12-31 19:23:10)

Topic: Fireface UFX Crackling

Hi,
I just noticed that my fireface UFX started crackling.
Im using earphones, not monitors.
The sound doesnt seem to be printing to Protools.
I tried new earphones.
I tried another outlet.
I tried it in stand-alone mode with all other gear (including computer) turned off.
Crackling sound is still there.
When I have Total mix on I can see the levels bounce as it crackles.
Its not a super loud, but noticeable.
Even with the earphone level turned completely down the crackling level doesnt seem to be affected. I still hear it at the same volume (I think)
This just started today after a normal session.
Any ideas?
Thanks very much

Re: Fireface UFX Crackling

Hi Guys,
Any ideas on a fix for crackling and popping with the firface UFX that just started after a few good years of nice quiet running?
Thanks

Seems like a hardware problem, possibly power supply related. You should send the unit to you local distributor for a check up.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/support.php

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks Jeff.
I didnt expect that answer. I thought it might just need a driver update or something.
Do you think it might be hardware related because it crackles and pops even in stand alone mode with computer off?
Thanks again

Yes, exactly

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks Jeff,
I would love to avoid taking it in for a check possible. It would take a huge dent out of the time I have to make my album.
Is there anything I could try or test on my own?
Should I try an update?
A complete wipe and update?
Different cables?
Different placement on the rack (possible heating issue?)
Anything you can think of that I could test that has a small chance of figuring out the problem from home would be greatly appreciated.
I didn’t do the newer updates because everything was working and I was concentrating on recording.

Im running:
Firmware: v357  Driver: v2.09
Total mix: Version 1.10 MAC OS X (1)

Has anyone else had this problem and found a fix?
Thanks again

Before it worked ? And you did not upgrade either firmware or drivers ?

Well then firmware and drivers should be still ok. Does this also make sense for you ?

Ok .. now TM FX itself .. you have stored your settings .. reset mixer (there are several submenue points to perform this).
Store this config in UFX standalone profile 1.
Disconnect PC.
Recall Standalone Profile 1 .. crackles ?
Power-cycle UFX
Recall Stansalone Profile 1 again to be safe .. crackles ?

If you dont get the crackles away then much if not all speaks for Jeffs assumption.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks Ramses!
I tried what you suggested (with a total reset).
It seemed quiet for a while but when I hooked the inputs again the noise came back. And stayed after I unhooked everything again.
The crackling/popping sound does get louder when I turn up the inputs and master volume in Total mix (I didnt notice before)
crackling sound IS being printed to protools sad
Its coming in all 8 inputs with little signal bounces showing for the crackles on the meters.
I guess my last chance would be to update everything. Its worth a try I before I take it for repair. no?
Im running
Firmware 10.6.8
Driver: v2.09
Macbook pro OS 10.6.8
USB
Protools 9

I just want to be sure I can jump from these to the updates available now.
Im guessing I need:

Fireface USB Driver v1.68 (does this include the Total Mix update?)
fut_usb_mac
Multichannel WAV File Batch Processor (I dont know what this is, do you?)
Thanks very much guys.

9 (edited by ramses 2018-01-05 21:28:55)

What do you want ? Stay on your current Mac OS X version 10.6.8, but update the UFX firmware and driver ?

If yes: then you need to ...

1. connect the UFX via USB to be able to upgrade the Firmware to latest version 359/163/344/28 from 28.09.17
(firmware upgrades are not possible via Firewire !)

2. upgrade the UFX driver to version 2.21. compatible to  Mac OS 10.6 and higher (32/64 Bit) in a separate step
which also give to you the latest version of TotalMix FX.

Your question in regards to WAV file batch processor.

The WAV file batch processor you need, if you want to extract all single tracks from a Durec recording. Although most of the major DAWs (i.e. Cubase) should be able to import the Durec file directly, which contains multiple audio channels which were recorded to this file in a "multiplexed" fashion.

Browse the handbook for Durec ... you can attach USB stick or disk directly to UFX (it has a special USB port in the front for that). Then you can use this for recordings in stand-alone mode without PC. Or alternatively it can be used to your usual PC recording to have a backup / plan b, shall the PC freak out ... Where PC recording can be with applications like DAW or also Global Record from the DigiCheck toolchain ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

10 (edited by frednugent 2018-01-08 09:52:43)

Thanks ramses and Jeff,
I tried the update, but it didnt stop the crackling sounds. They're getting worse each time I listen.
It's so crazy because the Thomann 3 year repair warranty finished literally just 2 weeks ago!
I ran a diagnostic error test and got:

does this mean RAM is bad?

Can you think of any reason this happens?
Im trying to figure out if I did something wrong so it wont happen again.
I was testing a new tube mic (with power supply) and also got a new compressor a few weeks ago. Could that have blown the hardware out or was this just something that was going to happen anyway?
Thanks again for the help.

Does anyone know how to read these test results?
I searched the web but couldnt find a way to read them.
I ran a diagnostic error test on my Fireface UFX and got:

Thanks guys.

You can reboot the UFX and check the test again. '149' should be '0'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by frednugent 2018-01-09 13:14:13)

Thanks MC,
I did a reboot and the first line of numbers were now at:
I did a little mixing in protools to see if if changed anything, but it stayed there.
I shut down and disconnected all inputs in back/rebooted and the numbers went back down to:
I reattached everything exactly as it was before but for some reason it stays at: 149.
Any idea what this might be?
Thanks again

This is not a critical RAM or DSP error. Still your hardware seems defective and needs service.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Will do.
Thanks MC, ramses, and Jeff.
I appreciate the help.

MC , Ramses, and anyone that could help.

Sorry to use this topic, but it seems to the be right one as the subject is the same.

I have these numbers on My Hardware/Diagnosis:

I turned off and on again and result are the same. It's defective? Why this is happening? Is that something I can do my self to solve this, once I'm Brazil and don't have any apropriate RME service here?

One strange thing but worth to mention is that beside the fact that my UFX+ is up-to-date with firmware DSP 41, just bellow H/D the tag it's saying "SW 40".
It Shouldn't be 41?

I'll aprecciate any help.

These numbers do not show a defect - no clue why you think so. And the correct flash version can be verified by starting the Flash Update Tool.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you MC!
The Current Flash version is shown on Drive as tb100 dsp41 usb47, and when I turn the UFX+ on, is shown 41 on it's led panel. But inside, just bellow the "Hardware/Diagnosis" tag, is shown SW40. Could it be the first Firmware from factory?

No, that might be a simple oversight within the DSP software showing a wrong number. We'll check that.

Update: yes, number is not updated in that menu, but the 41 shown at booting the unit is correct.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME