Topic: NEWB - RME Fireface UFX USB

Hey guys, basic question and I’ve skimmed the manual & not sure how to proceed.

I have a synthesizer plugged into inputs 1 & 2. The volume knob is set to 100% max. When I press a key, the input meters of course go straight to red clip.

It’s my understanding that each input should have a gain trim and a volume level setting. My intention is to leave the volume set to 0.0dB and to lower the gain, but I can’t find this setting anywhere in the hardware.

I see Gain in the “Dynamics” section in the mixer but I know that’s not what I’m looking for. The only thing that brings the meter into the green is turning down the volume on the synthesizer.

Thanks in advance.

Re: NEWB - RME Fireface UFX USB

Click on the tools symbol tab to open the other panel and check the input reference level setting.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Click on the tools symbol tab to open the other panel and check the input reference level setting.

Hi. Yes, the Hardware Input channel AN 1/2 is set to +4dBu which matches the settings on my reference monitors.

It was my understanding that +4dBu was the optimal setting but I could be wrong.

The only thing that corrects the issue is changing the level of AN 1/2 to Lo Gain.

Should each Hardware Input channel level match the mix buss channel level setting?

Kind regards.

You need to set the device which is connected to your line ins to a proper output level so that you get a decent signal and by this a good SNR.

Then you select the reference level settings of UFX. You can fine tune this with the Gain setting.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by ARNK 2017-12-31 21:49:50)

ramses wrote:

You need to set the device which is connected to your line ins to a proper output level so that you get a decent signal and by this a good SNR.

Then you select the reference level settings of UFX. You can fine tune this with the Gain setting.

In other words, just turn down the volume level of the synthesizer?

At the analog source I would turn the vol up as much as possible, except you would get more noise.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by ARNK 2017-12-31 22:28:54)

ramses wrote:

At the analog source I would turn the vol up as much as possible, except you would get more noise.

Hmm. Kinda back to square one. What am I missing?

DSI PRO 2 going into AN 1/2, channel set to +4dBu. Main Mix Buss also set at +4dBu - matching my Focal monitors set at +4dBu. Both faders are set to 0.0.

Although there’s no distortion or noise when I press a key on the keyboard (which is set to max volume), the Input/Output meters on the UFX jump to red/max immediately.

No distortion. No crackling.

Should I not be looking at green or at most yellow meters?

For the hardware input AN1/2, ie what the DSI is plugged into, set the level to ‘Instrument’ (I think that what the option is called - away from my UFX atm so cannot check).

Instrument refers to passive instruments like guitar and bass. A Synthesizer is active, and in this case even got too much output level anyway.

I have no clue why it is 'back to square one' when the obvious and mentioned solution is to set the input level of the UFX to 'Lo Gain'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by ARNK 2018-01-06 17:43:53)

MC wrote:

Instrument refers to passive instruments like guitar and bass. A Synthesizer is active, and in this case even got too much output level anyway.

I have no clue why it is 'back to square one' when the obvious and mentioned solution is to set the input level of the UFX to 'Lo Gain'.

I realized it after my post, just read in several places +4dBu was the correct setting. Was clinging to this “advice” too much. Thank you though...