Topic: ADAT vs Analog Input: computer processing?

Hi,
For life concerts I will need to set up a multi-outputs gear for playing with virtual instruments.

Two keyboardists will play at the same time on the gear, using one session of Mainstage with all the patches and some preparations on Ableton Live to trigger the patch-changes and some audio.

I would like to use my Fireface 800 for this purpose.

I will need 8 Outputs, playing almost continuously. So, in theory, I can use the 8 Analog Outputs.

But I'd like to avoid any computer crash during the shows.

My question is: What is using more processor: Analog Outputs or ADAT Outputs?

If I use the ADAT Outputs and an ADAT Converter , will the computer be working a bit less and make my show safer ?

Any advice or experience is more than welcome
Best
Raphael

Re: ADAT vs Analog Input: computer processing?

No is exactly the same, the same data is send either to an DA converter or an Adat transmitter. Only thing you can do is set the buffer as high as possible, that is still playable. Lower buffers are a harder load on the computer.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

3 (edited by ramses 2018-01-03 08:46:35)

What computer and OS are you using ?

If I remember right some people had issues with Firewire on Windows 10 based machines.

If the setup is tested by you and works solid, then this wouldn't be an issue for you.

BUT .. as Windows 10 is being upgraded quite often, you would need to ensure, that you do not get the PC updated before a show which can always have the impact, that something severely changed.

Latest Windows 10 seem to offer some more options to influence, what upgrades and when to install them, but this needs IMHO a closer look.

If on Windows do not miss to implement a rock solid backup solution with external disk, with which can recover quickly and reliably. Here I see currently only Macrium Reflect as a quality solution. The Rapid Delta restore mechanism ensures, that only changed data blocks are being transferred between backup medium and your disk, which makes a restore pleasently quick and also hinders too much wear on a SSD.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ramses, mainstage=mac

Vincent, Amsterdam

Thank you so much for your responses!!
I forgot to mention my equipment, sorry about that:

MacBookPro, mid2012,
2,4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3,
SSD 500
External 5T USB drive for the sound datas (with power adapter) (Journaled HFS+)
Sierra 10.12.6

(I plan to purchase a brand-new MacBook Pro in a few weeks. Apparently the RAM is going to be the same, so I really don't know if it's going to make any difference in the end)

By the way, high buffer is always complicated to work with when you play in live concerts with musicians, because of the latency it creates, impossible to manage when you play a piano part with a drummer for example.
I always look for an acceptable compromise.

Raphael Sanchez wrote:

By the way, high buffer is always complicated to work with when you play in live concerts with musicians, because of the latency it creates, impossible to manage when you play a piano part with a drummer for example.
I always look for an acceptable compromise.

Exactly what I meant. For example 256 might be just playable and is much better for the cpu then 64. And beware if you use effects too, that those are zero latency.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Thank you Vinark.