Topic: Monitor mixing for BFP

I am moving from hardware synth (MOXF8), VSTi's and a guitar to an all MIDI controller/VSTi setup with guitar for live performance.  I've read great things about the Babyface Pro and I'm looking at it to replace the USB audio interface in my MOXF8.  I have a personal monitor mix coming from the band PA via XLR currently going into a dedicated headphone amp which I'm hoping the BFP could also replace.

1. Is it possible to have only the XLR inputs directly passed to the headphone outputs with no other signals included, while passing VSTi outputs from the PC into the XLR outputs only?

2. Will I get significant round trip latency improvement (TRS in -> PC -> XLR out) compared to my MOXF, if anyone has experience with both?  I.E. a guitar run through Guitar Rig Pro and back out to the PA.

Re: Monitor mixing for BFP

1. Sure. Simple routing in TotalMix.

2. No experience, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

1. Sure. Simple routing in TotalMix.

Cool!  Does TotalMix need to be run every time I set up for a gig or does the BFP store routing settings internally?

4 (edited by ramses 2018-01-04 08:29:20)

You can store different settings (routing, etc) in 8 snashpots of one "workplace".
You have 30 Quick Workspace select slots which give you quick access to 30 x 8 different settings/routings.
Of course you can save a snapshot and workspace as file which gives you even unlimited possibilities.
I bet there is nothing better than totalmix in the whole market.

My TM primer: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/

RME Tutorial Videos: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

The Babyface Pro has an operational mode "stand-alone",
EDIT: but as MC mentions in later post the settings will be forgotten by BBFP once you power-cycle it.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

As far as route storage goes, I'm mostly concerned with the situation where something gets bumped on stage and power is cycled.  Does it retain its settings or do I have to jump back into TM to fix it?  The dumbest snafus happen to the best of us when playing live!

Your question is a bit confusing and might be answered by Ramses already. You use the BF Pro on stage in stand-alone mode, without computer? Then you will not have access to the FX, including EQ (described in the manual. EQ continues to work after unplugging USB, but is lost on reboot of the BF). If you use it with a computer TM FX (which runs on the computer in the background) will load the last settings automatically, so no need for manual steps.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by ramses 2018-01-04 08:47:11)

Thanks for clarifying Matthias. I re-read the handbook and understand now better what stand-alone mode means for the BBFP. Now it makes sense to me what you say, EQ settings are beyong the capabilities of the unit to be set/edited in stand-alone mode.

So you can configure in "stand-alone mode" what the device itself offers to set/configure with the controls on the unit, handbook chapter 31.2 details this.

But the unit has not internal storage to recall the last settings or like with the UFX II, that you have 6 standalone profiles which can be managed by TM FX, stored on the unit and later being recalled on demand.

@bigtwisty: as on stage everything needs to go quick I would recommend then: UCX, 802, UFX II, UFX+ or MADIface XT, which all have 6 standalone profiles. You need to look which of them would fit your demands / budget best.

If you would like to have smth like a monitor controller like the ARC USB, then you should focus on the UFX II (or UFX+), as these are the only units where you can connect the ARC USB directly to the device. For all other RME devices which have TM FX you can connect the ARC USB to the computer, in this case TM FX handles the communication between the recording device and the ARC USB. So for ARC USB & standalone operation you would require the UFX II.

For quick comparison you can use my PDF:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … 017-12-pdf

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks guys.  You answered all my questions.