Topic: Fireface 802 crackling and synchronization errors

I've been getting a lot of crackling that seem to be intermittent and sometimes really bad and then logic stops with a synchronization error.  I'm using:
Mac Pro (mid 2010) w/ High Sierra
2.4 GHz Quad-Core
32 GB memory
Running Logic Pro X
In Logic I'm running:
Core Audio
I/O Buffer size - 64
Processing Threads - 16
Process Buffer Range - Small
Multithreading - Playback & Live Tracks
Summing - High Precision (64 bit)
ReWire Behavior - Off

I used to be able to handle huge tasks but it seems since I've got my Fireface 802 I've had these crackling issues that seem to be getting worse.  It can barely handle the easiest of projects.  I'm not using anything different than I always have.  I am mostly just using Spectrasoncs Omnisphere, Kontakt, and superior drummer 3 and of course audio.

Any thoughts?

Re: Fireface 802 crackling and synchronization errors

I would try 128 buffer and threads automatic

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

Have the same issue, starts glitching and mayhem happens. Not workable.

The consensus is roughly that there are OSX issues how USB audio is being handled because with the inbuilt drivers it just works better.

I dread that I have to reinstall the whole thing sad

4 (edited by jameselvidge 2018-01-06 20:01:03)

Thanks Cigame, I originally always used 128 buffer and threads automatic and then was suggested to set to lower buffer and set threads to 16 which made no difference at all.

Childrenof9,  I am using firewire with my 802.  Are you using the firewire or USB?  Or is it the use audio that still drives the 802 even though it's plugged in through firewire?  That's where I get confused a little bit.  So, when you say reinstall the whole thing what are you referring to?  A clean OSX install?  Or reinstalling the 802?  If it's an OSX issue is re-installing going to help?  You would think there is a fix somewhere for this?  My older Fireface 800 was flawless until the power supply had a complete meltdown.  I thought I was upgrading but it's been a complete frustrating nightmare with the 802.  I should have just stuck with another 800 that actually worked.

Anyone else have any suggestions or experiences with this?

Im using the RME UFX with USB,

"Or is it the use audio that still drives the 802 even though it's plugged in through firewire?" <-  don't get this.

My issues are that when I play an Ableton session with a lot of plugins but not over 40% the soundcard gets out of sync and start glitching and fooling around. When I record audio the audio is not in time.

I am thinking of reinstalling the OSX but im not sure if this will solve my issues. When I openened the session on a computer of a friend of mine with sierra 12.4 same crappy behaviour.

Hey Childrenof9,
I've managed to correct the issue.  With a lot of patience and perseverance.  So, I did do a clean install of Mac Sierra.  I haven't updated to High Sierra yet so I'll update when I do that.  So, with a clean install I am backing up with time machine after every little thing I do.  I re-installed Fireface 802 with latest drivers.  That whole ordeal gets a little confusing because you have to install both the firewire and usb drivers and the flash update and you must have it connected via usb for the flash update.  I just connected it both firewire and usb while doing the install and all seems to have worked fine.  I then installed Logic Pro X.  Installing the sound library on an exterior drive.  I installed Omnishpere and Trillian both the same way with the sound library (STEAM) on exterior hard drive.  So far, I've installed NI Komplete Kontrol and Battery and no issues.  I am installing Guitar Rig 5 right now.  I'm just slowing installing and making backups with Time Machine each step of the way.  I believe the original issue was caused by my ignorance with the sound library's.  Now I have a good understanding of how all that works.  Before I had my plugins and libraries sort of everywhere and not consistent.  I think I may have even had duplicate libraries both on the main drive and exterior drive causing conflicts.  Again, I didn't know what I was doing.  lol  There are a lot of variables though so it's hard to say what was happening.  I also had other audio interface drivers on my mac from my focusrite Saphire and my Motu.  I had hundreds of plugins all over the place which is why I decided to do a clean install.  I don't use and probably never will use most of them.  I do like to use NI Kontakt and reactor and have thoughts that those could be disruptive with Logic.  I will update when I install those too.  I am still struggling with serious latency issues though if you have any thoughts on that.