1 (edited by soundmark 2018-01-11 02:23:32)

Topic: Multiple UC in Nuendo 6 one PC

Can I move forward assuming that I can use multiple UC interfaces in Nuendo 6 on one PC simultaneously for tracking?

Here's where I am now. Windows 10, i7, 16gig, SSDs. Long time user. I've used UC and Nuendo for a multiple years. This is my first go at using multiple RME I/O devices simultaneously in Nuendo.  Both units have been flashed latest bios 123. 1.0.99 driver installed.

I also have an USB ARC installed.

Clock are fine.

I notice Digicheck Global Record will only address one UC. (Is this bad news for me?)

When I load N6, all is well. If I add the inputs of one of the UCs as resources, Nuendo is fine. If I add inputs from the 2nd UC Nuendo gets fantastically slow. Each click request take upwards of 30 seconds (Is this bad news for my multiple soundcard on one PC agenda?)

If anyone knows definitively if this is possible or not, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Multiple UC in Nuendo 6 one PC

It is possible (see manual) if you clock the UCs correctly (see manual), and use separated USB ports (see manual). And DIGICheck does see both units. Use F3, activate the second entry and select the other interface.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by soundmark 2018-01-13 19:08:46)

Many thanks MC. It was the last page!

I'm very glad to report that, with a new USB PCI-e card, I was able to install both UC units on dedicated USB buses, and have all my utility usb devices separate on their own as well. The slow (bandwidth probably) characteristic to the Nuendo GUI is gone and I can record clean audio all around in sync in N6.

I am curious about the Digicheck Global Record function. For me it would be useful to record all inputs of both UC units simultaneously from Global Record.

From my inputs list, I can select either UC unit - one at a time. Shall I assume that only one can be recorded at once?

That's what it appears to be.

I have found, when set to monitor thru Nuendo, that I have not been able to get the latency down enough to be useful for drum tracking and other timing oriented musician mixes, or I would have another solution. I have noticed that buffer settings using 2 units is not practically the same as using only one UC. I can get to around 256, but 512 sounds more stable...and its too much for live cue IMO.

Now I am curious about Direct Monitoring from Nuendo with 2 unique Fireface UC units. I have no idea how 2 Totalmix interfaces on 2 unique Fireface UC could tie Direct Monitoring functions together, but I have found so far that there is a disconnect and a no-go.

(for instance, when I arm and listen to an input on one device, I can listen to the new open input fader on an output set to Cues/Phones, on that same physical unit...the second unit will not receive the output audio on its Cues. And vice-versa...)

My new assumption is that if I want to use inputs and outputs of both units in one Nuendo session, that I will have to manually mix in Totalmix and also use analog/adat/spdif connections to transport bus content back and forth to each unit for cue monitoring.

(Currently using headphone outs from both units for 2 of 3 of my cue/musician mixes)

I will plan to use the USB ARC to setup scenes that could make recording and playback scenarios faster. Any workflow suggestions or criticisms are much appreciated. Thanks everyone

USB is not fully sychronous between ports, the buffer setting therefore often must be set higher as with one unit. It depends on your computer's build and the specific USB ports if multi-interface usage works good or with less performance.

ADM only works within one hardware. You can't listen to an input channel of device 1 at the output of device 2 via ADM (should be quite obvious as there is no direct connection between them). It might be useful to rearrange I/Os so that typical ADM situations happen within one/the same device.

Can you provide a screenshot of DIGICheck Global Record Card Select (F3), where you activated the second device and show the content of the dropdown menu?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Not sure how to post pixs. I have screenshots as .jpg

Beta driver 1.113 has expanded my simultaneous input options for Global Record in Digicheck and I can now see both devices at once...an therefore can record all inputs on both devices at once. Very nice!