451 (edited by maxim.antonyuk 2017-11-27 09:24:45)

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Hi all,
sorry for noob question, anyway.
I have acoustic guitar with active pickups (LR Baggs; typical mono jack 6.3mm output).
Is it correct to plug it directly into INPUT3 (or 4) of Babyface Pro?
Or do I need to buy D.I. box, and connect to XLR INPUT1 (or 2) via DI box?

Directly into 3/4.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

jcrakes wrote:
jcrakes wrote:

Hello,

Will using a 1/4” TRS cable into one of the mic/line inputs completely bypasses the preamp circuitry, and is not just a padded signal to bring it down to line level?

Thanks!

Bump... smile

Double bump smile

I'm not trying to be a pest here, I am just interested to find out if anybody knows the answer...

thanks!!!

You might start with questions that make sense. The Mic/Line input is XLR. How to use a 1/4" TRS with that?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

455 (edited by jcrakes 2017-11-29 22:02:17)

Sorry MC... I am new to the DAW scene... I was told to ask this question by a friend and apparently he doesn't have a clue either LOL

Apologize for my ignorance... maybe he meant from the back of a preamp (which has a balanced 1/4 inch output) to the Babyface Pro?   

Sorry again...  I guess I need to study and learn about signal flow.

Apart from that - the answer on 'padded signal mic preamp' is there for those who search:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=23899

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Apart from that - the answer on 'padded signal mic preamp' is there for those who search:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=23899

MC, 

Thank you for your response and time...

Cheers!

I'm still perplexed about the seemingly high noise floor of my BFP when paired with my SM57 (my only mic on hand).

It appears the BFP has a constant level of white noise hiss, nearly regardless of what level the preamp is set to. For example, if I record with 20dB gain and then boost the signal another 20dB in the DAW, I get a nearly identical amount of noise as I do when recording at 40dB without boosting (24 bit of course).

I also tried using a cl-1 cloudlifter, and it doesn't allow me to achieve any greater of a signal to noise ratio.... which doesn't make any sense to me. Shouldn't the equivalent preamp have a ~20dB quieter noise floor?

Since the 57 is a dynamic mic, I'm under the impression that it has very low / essentially irrelevant self-noise.

I'm wondering if my BFP happens to be performing below spec, generating significant self-noise, or if this is just a limitation of the model.

Any thoughts on why I am unable to lower my noise floor?

Solder a 150 or 200 Ohm resistor between pins 2 and 3 of a XLR plug, plug it in, then post the level measured with DIGICheck Bit Stat / Noise at gains like +20 and +40. Then we can compare with what it should have.

Apart from that you seem to think one can circumvent the laws of physics - one can't. The noise performance of all our mic preamps is as good as what one gets these days, a Cloudlifter can not be used to get better values per se (it brings other advantages in certain applications, though), and if one preamp has a3 dB better EIN than the other then the audible difference is like nothing.

The SM57 is a very low level mic. Just Google 'SM 57 low level' and you'll see...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi there - does anyone happen to know if I can use a RME Fireface 400 Firewire Interface connected via ADT to my babyface as a way of getting 8 analogue in's

I use the babyface with breakout cable - but need more inputs and dont want to go down the route of a behringer ada8200

many thanks for your help/ advice.

ADT = ADAT - yes, that is basically possible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

462 (edited by kalvar 2017-12-05 08:35:33)

H All,

first time post, ready to purchase new MBP, but having read many issues with the 2016/17 models with babyface pro,
do many still think the 2015 model is the only option?

running logic pro x, need portability and need everything to work.  will be using traktor
will have 512 or 1tb ssd amd 16gb ram

i just need it to be rock solid on the move and work as flawlessly with the babyface pro, also when im back home looking to plug into a 27+ monitor, not fussed about touch bar just need to be able to plug in and go, not mess about with issues and problems due to adapters. have so little time as it is.

seems a shame having to bye 2 year older model unless there is an adapter that is just flawless. ideal when on plane that i dont need to use some sort of external power, hence why i got the babyface pro to tun from USB.

again please be kind, im only asking as for two days im caught in a vicious circle.. im going mad.

thanks

just to update: 2015 Apple MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Quad i7 2.8GHz 16GB 1TB AMD R9 M370X (Z0RG2000165299) is one of the options. cant find a lot of info but still looking. just need everything to work.

I pulled the trigger and ordered the above. just to many possible issues with USBC.

Apologies for the random post. sometimes its just good to get a second opinion.

463 (edited by Zootwalker 2018-01-04 05:17:47)

Hi everybody.

I am planning to buy a Babyface Pro, but my main concern is about the headphone output power. That's because I used to have a firewire interface from another brand that worked very well with an old AKG 240 (55ohms), and also with Beyerdynamic DT880 (250 ohms). Both sounded different but sounded great, with detailed bass, mids and highs. It has 150 mW/Ch. @ 60Ω Load

Then I changed for another brand usb interface since the last one started to get some issues but, IMO, it did not worked well with both headphones. I had to push the volume to almost the limit to get a 'full' sound. Even then, it did not sounded as good as the previous firewire interface.

So, simply put, anyone have any experience if Babyface Pro can drive those headphones properly? I tried to compare reading Babyface Pro specs, but not sure if I can interpret them right, because of relation to impedance and other details.

If not capable to drive them, can I use an external headphone amplifier within Babyface Pro?

Thanks in advance.

The BF Pro has no problems to drive these two headphones - even simultaneously thanks to its two outputs with individual driver circuits.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the answer.
So, technically, the Babyface's specs 'Max power @ 0.1% THD: 50 mW' is enough to drive a 250 ohms headphone? And in case I wish to use an external headphone amplifier, can I use the headphone output to a Schiit Magni headphone amp, for example? Also, is there any rule to choose either output to be used with a specific headphone impedance ? Would one of them give me more output? Or none of that relates to the quality of the headphone output sound?

If I may, let me ask a question regarding another topic: Does the Babyface Pro DSP effects can be used to give a zero latency, or near zero latency, sufficient to be used during recordings, without the typical delay that I get using a DAW's effect?

Thanks onde again.

466 (edited by jcrakes 2018-01-07 01:06:47)

Hello,

Is there any difference between using the 1/8" headphone out vs. the 1/4" headphone out in order to feed a second set of monitors?

Will this insert cable suffice if I use the 1/4" out??

http://hosatech.com/product/cys-100/

Thanks for your time and help!  Salud...

The difference is 6 dB in output level. And both you and Zootwalker will find anything explained in detail in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

468 (edited by ramses 2018-01-07 11:24:37)

MC wrote:

The difference is 6 dB in output level. And both you and Zootwalker will find anything explained in detail in the manual.

page 74:
[...]
DA, Phones 3/4
As DA Line Out, but:
•  Output: 6.3 mm TRS jack, unbalanced
• Output impedance: 10 Ohm
Output level at 0 dBFS, 1 kOhm load: +13 dBu
• Max power @ 0.1% THD: 50 mW
User's Guide Babyface Pro © RME 75
Output: 3.5 mm TRS jack, unbalanced
• Output impedance: 2 Ohm
Output level at 0 dBFS, 1 kOhm load: +7 dBu
• Max power @ 0.1% THD: 70 mW
[...]

13-7=6dBu difference

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

469 (edited by xiwiwix 2018-01-14 18:39:28)

I was thinking of buying a BabyFace Pro, but wanted to know if I could connect my FireFace800 via ADAT (BF Pro as  master), while being able to use all 4 preamps in-front, and remaining 6 line-ins on the back for 14 possible (recording simultaneously) mic pres on the FF800?

The BF Pro has a single ADAT input, so you will be limited to 8 channels from the FF800

ronmac wrote:

The BF Pro has a single ADAT input, so you will be limited to 8 channels from the FF800

Heya, thanks for the input!

Can anyone else verify this? I want to be super sure before I pull the trigger and buy one.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/babyface_pro.php

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Quick question! Having just sold my regular Babyface and planning to buy a BFPro, I noticed that almost all the retailers have the price increased to 750€ when last time I checked it was sitting around 650€. Has something changed on RME's side or is this just regular fluctuation with the retailers?

That was Christmas time, dealer offers, not our side. The price was 750 before as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Newly back within the RME fold with the BF Pro after previously using Multiface / FF800 / BF v1 - quick question as I've been away from Total Mix for a while and so refamiliarising myself with it:
Can the Mono/Stereo switch in the Control Room panel also apply to the Phones 3&4 out? I can't currently find a way to do this? Sorry if I've overlooked something obvious.

Also, has anyone found a perfect compact padded (camera?) bag for when the hard case is too bulky? Thanks.

The mono/stereo switch is currently only valid for the Mains out.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok - thanks Matthias. Would you please consider some kind of implementation in the future? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd find it invaluable.

Is it possible to run 2 BabyFace Pro's for 24x24 in/out in the same system? Would TotalMix see both?

From the manual:

In real-world an operation of more than one Babyface Pro seems not very useful. The second unit must be synchronized using the optical input. The result is an extension by only 4 analog record and 4 analog playback channels (plus 8 digital via ADAT Out). It makes much more sense to directly connect an 8-channel converter to the ADAT I/O of one Babyface Pro, adding full 8 analog channels of record and playback.

On the other hand the second unit can even be used stand-alone, without any USB connection, and might serve as an emergency replacement in case the main unit fails.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you

Hi guys. Sorry if this has been covered before.

I was pretty disappointed today when I bought a 5-string bass and learned that the recording of the bass sounds nothing like the bass when its coming through the monitors. In fact, I've had this issue with any instrument I track through the babyface pro. I can't hear the $1000 pre-amps that I paid for. When I play my guitar it sounds lovely through the monitors but I can't say the same thing for the DI signal. Why doesn't it sound the same? Is there any setting I can make? Also how come the effects like reverb and delay don't show up on the guitar track when I record it? I can hear it through the monitors and it sounds very slick and nice but again, on Cubase 8.5 when I record it sounds like garbage compared to it. Please help.

Many thanks!

483 (edited by ramses 2018-02-10 23:22:18)

androidtucra wrote:

I was pretty disappointed today when I bought a 5-string bass and learned that the recording of the bass sounds nothing like the bass when its coming through the monitors. In fact, I've had this issue with any instrument I track through the babyface pro. I can't hear the $1000 pre-amps that I paid for. When I play my guitar it sounds lovely through the monitors but I can't say the same thing for the DI signal. Why doesn't it sound the same? Is there any setting I can make? Also how come the effects like reverb and delay don't show up on the guitar track when I record it? I can hear it through the monitors and it sounds very slick and nice but again, on Cubase 8.5 when I record it sounds like garbage compared to it. Please help.

Many thanks!

Do I understand right ? You connect an E-Bass or E-guitar to an instrument input and expect it would sound
like a mic'ed amp ? This is not possible.

The Instrument Input serves only the purpose that you can either
- record your instrument directly to use this recorded signal later at any time for re-amping purposes or
- you can play a Virtual Instrument through it, which is an amp emulation for guitar or bass. And also this is in most cases only a "compromise sound" which is not so good / full  / rich in sound compared to a properly mic'ed guitar or bass amp

Other purposes of using a recording interface in a guitar rig is shown by me here in this article, to use i.e. an UFX+ to
- build a parallel effect loop for a guitar amp
- record guitar through instrument input to use it for later re-amping
- use 2 different inputs gains to compensate weaker output signal of single coil pickups
- use UFX* DURec as tape deck
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … arren-Rig/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

484 (edited by pianopictures 2018-02-10 23:26:34)

@androidtucra
Sorry to hear that. My guess is that you'd better join some audio recording forum or choose some other branch of this forum which is more related to the recording techniques, as it don't looks like exactly a Babyface Pro related problems to me. Also it will be more useful to see a much more precise and systematized description of your issues, other than "nothing like the bass" and "sounds like garbage".

ramses wrote:
androidtucra wrote:

Many thanks!

Do I understand right ? You connect an E-Bass or E-guitar to an instrument input and expect it would sound
like a mic'ed amp ? This is not possible.

The Instrument Input serves only the purpose that you can either
- record your instrument directly to use this recorded signal later at any time for re-amping purposes or
- you can play a Virtual Instrument through it, which is an amp emulation for guitar or bass. And also this is in most cases only a "compromise sound" which is not so good / full  / rich in sound compared to a properly mic'ed guitar or bass amp

Other purposes of using a recording interface in a guitar rig is shown by me here in this article, to use i.e. an UFX+ to
- build a parallel effect loop for a guitar amp
- record guitar through instrument input to use it for later re-amping
- use 2 different inputs gains to compensate weaker output signal of single coil pickups
- use UFX* DURec as tape deck
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … arren-Rig/

I see what you are saying but what I don't undestand is why does my electric guitar or bass sound really good through the monitors and how come once it's recorded and I play it back the audio quality drops drastically? Also is it possible to record the reverb and delay effects that come with the Babyface Pro in my DAW?

Another quick question! I ended up buying the Babyface Pro used and it has been glorious! However, when I transported the BFPro to a session in my backpack, I noticed the jog wheel had fallen off the unit along with a small metal washer. I put the washer back inside the wheel where it fit and pressed the wheel back into the slot. It's working fine now and I can't even pull the wheel back out if I try it gently. I'm just wondering whether the wheel falling of is normal and should I be worried about it?

That sounds more like the old Babyface...?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

That sounds more like the old Babyface...?

Is this a reply to me or a previous poster?

Here is a thread from another user: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=23115

Mine did the same, although it looks like this user is missing the metal washer that I reattached to the cavity of the jog wheel (since I couldn't fit it elsewhere). Also, couldn't find any more info that the person replying was referring to.

That is a warranty case then, please contact your local dealer or distributor.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

490 (edited by shponglethedog 2018-02-22 08:50:11)

Hello! Just bought a new BF Pro and intend to use it with my iPad Pro 12", running iOS 11.3 Beta 2 at the moment. I use AUM environment for my live work on iPad. All looks fine, except, my multichannel apps, sometimes don't discover more than Left and Right Out, out of all 12 channels. All the inputs, however, are discovered just fine. I do need to use Outs1/2 and 3/4 separately for main and monitor mixes.

My BF Pro is certainly in CC mode, powered with external PSU, and connected to iPad via original Lightning to USB3 adapter (the big one). I never have any problems with my current interface Apogee Quartet. BF Pro is supposed to be the core of "street" project all battery powered:)

Can anyone help please? Thanks!

P.S. Just noticed, that when used with Quantiloop or Auria, initially both see only 2 outputs, but when I unplug USB cable and plug it back in again they see all 12 channels. AUM is struggling to do that, and that's my main app for live work sad

Updated iOS to Beta 3 just now - same behaviour.

shponglethedog wrote:

Hello! Just bought a new BF Pro and intend to use it with my iPad Pro 12", running iOS 11.3 Beta 2 at the moment. I use AUM environment for my live work on iPad. All looks fine, except, my multichannel apps, sometimes don't discover more than Left and Right Out, out of all 12 channels. All the inputs, however, are discovered just fine. I do need to use Outs1/2 and 3/4 separately for main and monitor mixes.

My BF Pro is certainly in CC mode, powered with external PSU, and connected to iPad via original Lightning to USB3 adapter (the big one). I never have any problems with my current interface Apogee Quartet. BF Pro is supposed to be the core of "street" project all battery powered:)

Can anyone help please? Thanks!

P.S. Just noticed, that when used with Quantiloop or Auria, initially both see only 2 outputs, but when I unplug USB cable and plug it back in again they see all 12 channels. AUM is struggling to do that, and that's my main app for live work sad

The TotalMix FX for iPad app has an option to lock iOS to multichannel mode with your current RME interface.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

493 (edited by shponglethedog 2018-02-22 13:39:48)

Hello Matthias, it doesn't help. I have multichannel locked in Total Mix settings, but it's still the same. One thing though: do I need to have Total Mix running in the background all the time, and start it before I start any multichannel app? That would make sense.

Thank you!

494 (edited by shponglethedog 2018-02-22 17:40:25)

Seems to work now - fingers crossed! smile Thank you, Matthias!

495 (edited by epadeganeh 2018-03-02 08:41:24)

Hi.
I am about to buy BF pro and also a headphone. Is a headphone like beyerdynamic dt800 (250 ohm) a good option? Does BF pro drive it completely as I am going to double check my mixes with the headphone??? or I will need to acquire a headphone preamp?

Another question is about the differences between BF pro and FF UCX in converters and preamps? Which of them is a better choice considering the price?

Thanks and regards

496 (edited by ramses 2018-03-02 09:16:06)

You can compare between these two in terms of technical data with my excel / PDF here in this article:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … 017-12-pdf

I would take the UCX as it offers more options to you, add an ARC USB for even more comfort. If the focus is on mobility and compact format then the BBFP is for you, but even then check whether all inputs and outputs are there which you require in parallel.

If you want to compare the preamps, get both and organize a blind or double blind test and judge yourself.

Advantages of the UCX might be:
- autoset
- 6 standalone profiles
- more channels 36 vs 24
- firewire400 as an option to USB2
- additional SPDIF coax port
- 2 MIDI ports
- Word Clock
- complete implementation of TM FX effects in the device

If you want additionally damening of power-on "plopp" not only on phones but on all output channels, then go 802, UFX II, UFX+. But note that 802 is a bit special as it does not allow you to store the gain digitally in TM FX (matter of taste, I prefer to be able to save my setup completely). Also you need the old ARC to be able to recall the 6 Standalone profiles in standalone operation from the device, which is not available anymore, which narrows a bit this use case. Therefore I would then go directly to UFX II ...

If you want Durec, go UFX II / UFX+.
If you want MADI go UFX+.

Thank you so much

But I need to know if babyface pro can drive a headphone like beyerdynamic dt800 (250 ohm) in full range?

Sure.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

499 (edited by jafaroff.music 2018-03-10 09:54:40)

Hi! Hello from Russia smile I've got RME Babyface Pro maybe 2 weeks ago and I have some questions about certain DAW compatibility and multicliental stuff.

In short, everything works fine with Cubase 9.5 Artist and not fine with FL Studio. While in Cubase 9.5 everything works even with 48 samples (not endless amount of resources tho, but that's for reason and PC config-dependent ofc) in FL Studio even with 2048 sample buffer cracks and stop are present, even with pretty light projects. There are absolutely no errors in Fireface USB Settings while working in Cubase 5, Cubase 9.5 Artist, Melodyne - 0/0, but with FL Studio it's like 7/74 or 3/111 like yesterday.

(I understand that probably it's not the right place to ask help, since it looks like this problem is around FL Studio itself)

One more problem with FL Studio: when I'm chaning buffer size while working with this DAW, other sounding applications (system sounds, Facebook/Steam notifications) are sounding distorted for some reason, it can be fixed by closing FL Studio and next FL Studio's run doesn't cause any problems until the buffer size is changed.

PC is not the strongest ever, but not the slowest too:
AMD FX-8320 at GIGABYTE mobo with Win10 x64 OS
RAM 8 GB, 2 TB HDD

And one more question - how much WDM devices should I set in Fireface USB settings? Setting 2 to 6 doesn't make any kind of difference while working in DAW, is this about multicliental stuff? I saw a WDM device usage in AIMP, so I think it's related to WDM playback software. Maybe I should tweak OS audio settings somewhere?

500 (edited by BFPro 2018-03-14 16:20:35)

The paper manual (page 76) says in unclear English, "Current at 12V external power: 240mA (2.9 watts)". I don't understand this quote. Is this the spec for an external DC power source to run the Baby Face Pro?

Concretely, I have two questions about external power to the BabyFace Pro:

1. If external DC power is supplied to the BabyFace Pro, will that prevent power from being drawn from the USB?

2. Could you provide more details on the ideal external power adapter for the BabyFacePro?

I see on the input jack, it requires DC.

- Today's new RME video posted today says "standard external power supply with 9 to 12 volts".
https://youtu.be/omz1BV4Epac?t=1m26s

- The manual states power consumption is 2.9 watts typical & 4.6 watts max (page 76).

- Size of connector and where is +/-?

- I would guess roughly 600 mA @ 12v would provide more than enough power