Topic: RME ADI 2 Pro Unable to record from 16-bit source

I am very appreciative of the features and facilities on my new RME ADI 2 Pro, however I am unable to persuade it to accept and transfer to USB output a digital (AES or SPDIF) signal from a DAT recorder which is replaying tapes recorded typically in 48KHz at 16 bit.  I am using an iMac with the latest OS. The Audio Midi interface offers only 2 channel 32 bit and I cannot record the audio to Adobe Audition from the RME. I can record to Audition via the analogue inputs on the RME and in that case the Audio Midi setup is happy with the 48KHz 32 bit

If I revert to my Sound Devices USBPre2 I can see that device in Audio Midi Setup at 16-bit integer 48KHz and it records successfully to Audition.

Thank you

Re: RME ADI 2 Pro Unable to record from 16-bit source

That makes limited sense, the ADI-2 has no issues with 16-bit signal. What happens when you try to record? Have you tested other software, e.g. Reaper?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank you for your help. I have tried Reaper and also Audacity but each program relies on Audio Midi setup for the device settings, and for ADI 2 Pro 16 bit is not given as an option.

So the software runs but nothing is recorded.

I had hoped it was a simple operator error situation (me) the manual is excellent but there are so many choices I feared I was missing something?

Any further thoughts?

Quadbert

There is simply no need to set/change the resolution for recording as far as the input is concerned, and not doing so can and will not cause a blank recording. Therefore, there must be some other issue here, i.e. incorrect selection of inputs or so. Can you record an analog signal?
If you wish, you can choose 16 bit format for the recorded files, but the input does not need any alternative configuration.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I can record from an analogue source. Currently I have connected only from the DAT AES output and the Status Overview looks like this:

AES. Lock.  48.  pro.  16

USB   conn. 48.  2/2

SRC.  AES

Clock source.   AES

The in out display shows outputs AES and SPDIF and 1/2 and 3/4 are active

Does this help?

Best regards

Quadbert

17.4 USB

USB: interface mode.

This mode can be activated manually by selecting Basic Mode – USB. The device enters USB
mode automatically when Basic Mode is set to Auto and a USB connection is detected. USB
has priority over AD/DA mode.

In USB mode all inputs are routed to USB, all outputs are fed from USB. In SETUP – Options –
Device  Mode  –  CC-Mode  the  unit  can  be  configured  as  2-channel  (Stereo)  or  6/8-channel (Multi-channel) device. Sample rates higher than 192 kHz and DSD128/256 are only available in 2-channel mode, which is why this mode has been chosen as default.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel,

I have tried following these instructions but I still cannot record the incoming signal. What  next please? Do I have a faulty unit?

Best regards

Quadbert

What exactly did you do? To record digital input you need to change the unit into Multi-channel mode, then select the digital input within your recording software.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC,

That has solved my immediate problem and i can now successfully record from AES input. I can now get on with my project!

I may have further questions as I proceed to climb the learning curve, but for now, many thanks.

Best regards.

Quadbert