Topic: Continuously On-----Okay?

Is it okay to keep the UFX+ continuously powered up?

Rob

Regards
Rob
NYC

Re: Continuously On-----Okay?

I  inquired about this exact same thing, when I got my Fireface 802 about 18 months ago.  I was told by support, that it didn't matter either way.  If I decided to power it down every time, or leave it running 24/7, it didn't matter overall to the units health.  I replied with my concern about heat, degradation of the components etc and they replied back again, saying all would be ok.

For what it is worth, I have mine powered up 24/7 and have since summer of 2016.  Really curious if what support told me was right though and what others are doing.  I would hate for my $3,000 investment to prematurely burn up on me.

Don't you guys sleep sometimes? Serious question!

:-)    Yes, when necessary.

But shutting down gear, if it is to be done, includes computer, powered speakers, satellite hard drive, musical amps; not difficult, nor tedious, but rather it has raise a question for me as to whether 'tis better to remain powered up than to shut off, then on, off, on, perhaps several times during a single day.  I'm not clear, objectively, about what the best way to care for the gear is.

I thought perhaps RME had a clear piece of advice on this.

Regards
Rob
NYC

Regarding RME hardware my experience is that it doesn't get damaged by running 8 - 16 h/day and get powered down when not in use. The same for active speakers, computers/monitors & harddrives.

Not sure about tube gear. My bet is that tubes wear out the longer they run.

The question has been asked before in this forum and I think to remember RME mods said it's fine to have their stuff running 24/7. Do a search maybe.

Thank you both for your thoughts.  I'm particularly interested that support said it didn't matter to the unit's health to be continuously powered up.  My practice has been and will continue to be to leave it on 24 hrs except when not to be in use for more than 48/72 hours.  Regards to all-

Regards
Rob
NYC