Topic: Fireface 400 problem with microphone inputs

I'm having a problem with only the mic inputs (1&2) on my Fireface 400. No gain, both with a mic (XLR) or an instrument (JACK).
Sliding the gain controls in the software does not change any levels.
The phantom power light on the interface turns on and off. But the inputs mics have a so low level of volume I can scarcely hear anything. The inputs 3&4 react with the gain controls.

I have updated the firmware and have the most current driver installed. I'm running MacOS Sierra and Logic.
Everything was working properly for years.
I have reinstalled the driver and nothing changes. I tried with another computer, nothing changes.

Thank you very much for your help.

Re: Fireface 400 problem with microphone inputs

Where do you 'slide the gain' exactly? Did that work before or is this a used unit freshly purchased?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi, I too am having this problem -- it happens on condenser and dynamic mics on both inputs 1 & 2.

Gain will be a healthy/normal level at first (I have tried using both hard knob and the RME settings software), but a few seconds in, it will drop drastically. I just crank the gain and there doesn't seem to be any noise/clipping/degradation, but having my 414 gained at 40 for a loud source is NOT normal!!!

I should mention, I own TWO identical FF400 units and both behave exactly the same way (one bought new a long time ago, one bought used recently). Both have been tested with manufacture's and 3rd party power supply's as well as various power sources.

I haven't noticed this until now because I mainly use external pre's.. HELP PLEASE

Where do you check the input level? Hopefully in the level meter of that input within TotalMix FX. And does the level meter really change? Or is it the multimedia software that you use regulating Windows volume?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME