Topic: Downsizing to a RME Fireface UCX a good idea?

As the title says, I'm looking at downsizing my current setup for an RME UCX for voice over work with youtube videos and possible streaming.

My current setup is as follows: Heil PR40 => Triton FetHead => Mogami Gold XLR cable => Mackie 1202VLZ4 mixer => Behringer Multicom Pro-XL MDX4600 => Mackie 1202VLZ4 (via channel inserts) => Native Instuments Komplete Audio 6 => Windows 10 pc.

The reason for the setup is because I used to live in Hawaii in an apartment without isolating windows, so all the street noise just fed into my mic (a Blue Yeti at the time). I bought this setup specifically for the use of a gate, compressor, and limiter. This setup works perfectly and I'm very happy with it, except for the size.

I'm now in another phase in my life where I will be moving to Japan and I do not want to have this large setup as space will be even more limiting for me. So after a few days of searching around, I stumbled upon RME with their Totalmix FX software. I'm looking at using the Totalmix FX with the UCX in order to replace my mixer, processor, and interface while still maintaining the ability to have a gate, compressor, and limiter. I'm fine using the expander feature as a soft gate and limiter in case I can't match the Multicom Pro.

With all that out of the way, I have 3 questions that I would appreciate some input on:

-Will the UCX with Totalmix FX be sufficient enough for my needs?

-It's now 2018, is the UCX still a solid choice or should I wait to see if there will be a UCX+?

-Does anyone have any recommendations over the RME UCX?

Thank you all for your time.

Re: Downsizing to a RME Fireface UCX a good idea?

- Pretty sure it is more than sufficient

- No UCX+ in sight

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2018-01-20 07:59:47)

Re: Downsizing to a RME Fireface UCX a good idea?

UCX if you need to look for the form factor. UFX II if you also look for more features and options
- Durec
- Display
- fully standalone operation
- ADAT1 for i.e. more preamps or AD/DA converters, ADAT2 to connect to HiFi with optical SPDIF at the same time (quite handy to be able to record or playback from HiFi and still have one ADAT as a reserve
- latest converter technology like the UFX+, but lower price and the advantage only to require USB2, which is for this amount of channels still sufficient, comparable to the old UFX.
- better analog section / optimized preamps and headphone design

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13