Topic: The ACPI.sys latency problem

I have an Asus Zenbook UX310UQK-FC396T. It is a nice lightweight device with 16GB RAM, a 500GB SSD C: drive and a 1TB HDD E: drive. I use this for location recording of classical concerts with 10-16 inputs to my UFX, recording on Samplitude with Durec as backup. Previously I used a 15 years old (still going strong on XP and recording with zero dropouts due to latency) HP Pavilion that weighs 3.2 kg versus the 1.45 kg of the Asus. I do not trust my expensive exquipment to the hold, and with the reduced carry on allowance of EU air travel every gram counts. During recording I monitor with Totalmix and Digicheck.

The Zenbook works fine -- except for the occasional ACPI.sys glitches. I have tried all the optimisations that I can think of, but to no avail. Of course, I could abandon Samplitude and just record on Durec, but then I would have no backup.

Has anyone solved the latency problem with the ACPI.sys service?

Alternatively, if it is endemic to this machine, are there other laptops with similar specs that do not have this problem?

Classical ambisonic surround recording: UFX, FF400, Alesis HD24, Edirol R-44/88, Samplitude ProX 3.

Re: The ACPI.sys latency problem

Latency problems with ACPI.sys are in my experience caused by the notebook's BIOS. Not some setting in there, but how it communicates under the hood with all the hardware and Windows. So unless Asus wakes up and offers a better behaving update I fear you are doomed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: The ACPI.sys latency problem

Great News! But thanks for your swift input Matthias

However, I read elsewhere that running LatencyMon (which I was at the time) itself causes under-runs, so maybe this was the problem. Luckily, the glitches flagged in Samplitude do not seem to actually be audible as clicks. I am now running soak tests without LatencyMon and experimenting with different ASIO buffer sizes (it was 2048 on the recording referred to).

mfG,

David

Classical ambisonic surround recording: UFX, FF400, Alesis HD24, Edirol R-44/88, Samplitude ProX 3.