Topic: Fireface 400 only receiving headphone (7/8) audio in right ear.

As the topic says, I cannot get an audio signal to the left ear on the dedicated 7/8 headphone output. My monitors receive both ears and pan properly but the headphones are stuck in the right ear. I updated the fireface/total mix applications 2 times and can get it to work sometimes, but mostly does not work. I've copied/mirrored the main output as well as resetting the mix countless times. It may also be worth noting that I'm bus powering from my PC into the fireface.

Re: Fireface 400 only receiving headphone (7/8) audio in right ear.

Please provide a screenshot of the mixer (via Dropbox or 666kb.com) and also test different headphones.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by derrick.bettencourt 2018-02-01 19:50:27)

http://666kb.com/i/dqmevagqfrbtsn01s.png

It definitely is not the headphones after testing a few pairs. There is now no signal at all coming to either ears after reinstalling and resetting mix countless times. I made sure to disable rme fireface as default windows sound device (to work in DAW mode on Ableton) since I thought it may be conflicting.

Edit: I also own a FF800 that is experiencing the same technical difficulty. I feel that it's within the software and/or something conflicting in my PC (Windows 10)

You are using TotalMix FX in DAW mode. In this simplified mode there is no routing, everything is done and defined in the DAW. Copy/Mirror of routings does not work (the right click menu still visible is a known error, that is already fixed in upcoming version 1.50, sorry for the confusion).

So with no routing at all Phones at the unit will always play back the ASIO or WDM channels 7/8, no matter what you set in the mixer surface! So hearing only one channel means your DAW sends audio only to channel 7 or 8, not both.

The option to assign Phones (and Mains) to any channel is still there, but it only works for the Talkback feature.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by derrick.bettencourt 2018-02-03 02:04:44)

At the moment my FF800 works no problem, but my FF400 is having a problem receiving a signal to headphones (7/8). I'm testing side by side. I notice that the settings change when I use 800 or 400, giving me some hope that it's still a software conflict. ASIO and WDM are disabled and the audio is purely running through my DAW (tested both in DAW Mode and Full Mode). Any suggestions? Thanks for your responses!

Edit: Just dug out my macbook and tried the FF400 and found it acting the same way it is on my PC. Would this suggest the 7/8 headphone jack is faulty?

I don't see a clear statement that you send audio to output channels 7/8 directly by selecting these output channels in your software. And that the same works when selecting channels 5/6 instead. If so then the phones output might indeed be defective.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Now both units are receiving headphone out signals! I didn't do anything different except copy/mirror output mix to the 7/8 headphone channels and now it works like nothing happened.