Topic: Best way to use UFX and BF Pro with outboard gear

Hi, I'm starting mixing with external hardware, but having trouble trying to figure how to connect 2 RME interfaces to improve my workflow.

Right now, Im using Logic Pro w a UFX. All the outputs (including XLR 1/2) going to a Dangerous 2-Bus LT, and from there to a compressor and back to Logic. I am using headphones because I have no outputs left to monitor through speakers.

So I though I could use my babyface pro to get those monitor outs and to ADC back to UFX, then to Logic to print. I tried to configure BF as standalone, using external power supply, but couldn't get enough volume to drive my speakers.

Im also very confused about using ADAT back to UFX. Maybe I should use BF as master going to UFX as DAC via ADAT? Or should I make an aggregate and trying to fix things on TM?

Do you guys have some advice on how to arrange things in this scenario?

best, Bernardo

Re: Best way to use UFX and BF Pro with outboard gear

You can use 2 RME interfaces but you need to look closely whether it brings to you any advantage or more complexity.

To aggregate I cant refer, I only could tell in terms of Windows World and ASIO driver.

The 2 units use the same USB ASIO driver, then your DAW can access both of them at the same time.
You only need to look that both devices use the same ASIO buffersize and are synched with each other,
i.e. by ADAT cabling, you dont require WC for that.

The disadvantage is, that you need 2 separate instances of TM FX to control the routing of each of the 2 recording interfaces separately. And you can route signals only inside of each recording interface, not across devices.

So it might i.e. be easier to work with only 1 recording interface from operational standpoint.

If the UFX would be more than enough for you, then you could eventually think of another option to either
- work mainly with the UFX and optionally get an ARC USB on top
- work with the BBF Pro eventually only when travelling with reduced setup or
- even sell both and get one UFX II as you have there improved Mic Preamps and analog section, as well as improved DUREC and standalone capabilities. If you need a controller, get ARC USB on top.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Best way to use UFX and BF Pro with outboard gear

Thanks for your response!

I see what you mean about using 2 interfaces, but my problem is that I need more balanced analog outputs right now. (I intend to buy a 16 channels ADDA converter to fix that but I have to wait a few months because prices in Brazil are up to 5 times higher than other countries.)

So maybe using one of them as standalone could be the solution. For instance, I could use BBF Pro as main and UFX in standalone mode, via the 8 ADAT out from BBF, going to summing box, compressor and back to BBF through line in. And I still get speakers, headphone and line out 3/4 BBF... does that make sense?