Topic: sound from only one speaker (babyface)...

sorry, but i'm going crazy here.
been trying to solve this problem for several hours and i'm in desperate need of some help.

i want to mix some songs, but the problem is that i only hear sound coming from my left speaker (using the line out L cable from the babyface).

i have 2 babyfaces.
one for my stationary pc and another one for my laptop.
the stationary babyface works like it should, but the one i use with my laptop is giving me problems.

so, after several hours of failing, i've tried resetting totalmix (options, reset mix), but nothing really changed.
so, i tried to copy the settings from totalmix on my pc, to totalmix on my laptop.
they are identical and still there is only sound in my left speaker on my laptop, while my pc sounds great.
i've tried switching the output cables from the babyface, to check if there was a problem with the right speaker, or with the cable from babyface, but they are fine.
i've tried reinstalling the latest babyface drivers, but that didn't help either.
it's not a problem with my daw (cubase 8.5) settings, since it happens on any mp3 i choose to play (outside of cubase).
i'm stuck right now and out of ideas, so please help.

ps! i just tried to play back a song using my laptops built in soundcard (realtek) and that also only sounds in my left speaker, so i guess this is more of a pc problem?
i don't know what to do.

and another q.
i don't think it'll solve my problem, but will the new totalmix 1.50 work with the babyface?

Re: sound from only one speaker (babyface)...

Did you swap speaker outputs? Maybe the right one isn't working or cable problem?
Do you see output on the left and right output channel of totalmix?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

And after swapping the cables you could also swap their breakout cables, then at last the Babyfaces...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

vinark wrote:

Did you swap speaker outputs? Maybe the right one isn't working or cable problem?

you mean within totalmix?
yes, i've changed places with the cables and they are working fine.

vinark wrote:

Do you see output on the left and right output channel of totalmix?

yes, you can see 2 volume columns (see image).
https://i.imgur.com/qpICkHi.jpg

5 (edited by vinark 2018-02-09 16:50:00)

If you swap the cables to the speakers at the babyface side (at the breakout cable), 2 things can happen. The left speaker still works which means it is happening after the babyface (so it is either the right cable to the speaker or the speaker itself that is not working) or the sound moves to the right which means it is the babyface or the breakout cable only outputting at the left..

Vincent, Amsterdam

MC wrote:

And after swapping the cables you could also swap their breakout cables, then at last the Babyfaces...

i guess i was too focused on totalmix and thought that's where the problem was, so actually i hadn't thought about swapping the breakout cables.
just tried it and it does seem like there's a problem with one of the line out cables (should be the line out R).
at first after i had swapped them, there was sound coming from both speakers, but suddenly one speaker stopped and when i carefully wiggled the connection with that breakout cable, there was some static/ crackling noise.
so i guess it's broken.
thanx a lot for helping out!
where do i get a replacement breakout cable?

vinark wrote:

If you swap the cables to the speakers at the babyface side (at the breakout cable), 2 things can happen. The left speaker still works which means it is happening after the babyface (so it is either the right cable to the speaker or the speaker itself that is not working) or the sound moves to the right which means it is the babyface or the breakout cable only outputting at the left..

thanx a lot for helping out!
i just checked on a different set of speakers and it's the same problem.
it appears as it's the line out R breakout cable that's the problem.
i can hear static/ crackling noise when i move it, so i guess i'll have to replace it.

If it is at the dsub yes replace it. If at the out side you could replace  or resolder the plug only, maybe.

Vincent, Amsterdam