Topic: Fireface UFX digital gain control

Hello,

I got another RME interface to have fun with and learn, this time the UFX, second-hand so not new, but supposedly fully working and in good condition,
I did a brief test and I really like it (quite more than my 802 smile

but, I have one question regarding digital gain control on mic pres (inputs 9-10-11-12),
with no mic plugged, when I quickly turn up gains to max +65, indicated "volume" displayed by green lines in totalmix doesn't "rise" at same speed, and doesn't "settle" on same values for each pre, around -63 when gain is at +65 (my common math tells me that's probably okay) though strangely sometimes settle at -99 or so, randomly for random inputs,
I carefully routed this into headphones to observe what's going on, and it appears there's a minor pop or buzz or sequence of pops when quickly turning the gain up (again, I think that's okay), but sometimes the gain gets turned up with slight delay of 1-2 seconds max (this is something I'm not sure if it's perhaps due to power design of the unit maybe?),
when I plug in a decent dynamic mic (senn 835), there appears to be no excessive noise, indicated volume in totalmix is roughly around similar -60's in a silent environment, haven't tested UFX with all 4 inputs plugged with mics yet,

is this usual behaviour of UFX digital gain pre's?
I quickly went through similar topics at rme forums, some of which clearly indicate some faulty things, but I don't feel such behaviour is certainly a sign of any fault, maybe little aging, or maybe design "exception", when no mic is plugged?

thanks in advance

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, Windows 11, M2 Studio

Re: Fireface UFX digital gain control

There are topics here where this was explained. The gain setting will not always work immediately with just noise - means no signal at all. Attach a small signal and it will work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Fireface UFX digital gain control

thanks very much for quick answer and clarification MC,
will try to search topics more then,
glad my UFX piece is alright, looking forward to using it,
regards smile

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, Windows 11, M2 Studio