Topic: Fireface 800 over firewire over thunderbolt 3, possible?

I had look for a solution but could not find any answer on the RME forum so I create a new topic.

Is it possible to run a Fireface 800 on a thunderbolt 3 port of a Windows 10 laptop?

I'm aware that I will need some adapters but will the RME driver run the Fireface 800 over the thunderbolt 3 interface?
Can Windows 10 manage a firewire connection over a thunderbolt 3 port?!?

Any solution tu run my 2 old but really good Fireface 800 interfaces on a modern laptop without Express Card slot and without Firewire port?
Please no answer like "buy a desktop", "buy a Fireface 802" or "buy Fireface UCX" or "buy a Mac"... thanks wink

Re: Fireface 800 over firewire over thunderbolt 3, possible?

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. See 1 and 2.

This forum has tons of topics about this. Search for USB-C or Thunderbolt 3. You will need either two adapters or the OCW dock, and then still have a constant CPU load on one core of around 20% for nothing. FireWire is dead, and MS will not change that anymore.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks for your quick answer.
Indeed, it's not always easy to find the right topic on the forum concerning that exact problem.
I'm searching...

4 (edited by oroman77 2018-11-30 21:15:54)

I'm in a similar situation. Laptop is a Lenovo P72, Win10 with TB3. I love my Fireface 800 and RME, so instead of resorting to UAD for TB3, I'd rather wait for RME to eventually introduce their TB3 products.

In the meantime, would using and external PCI chassis with an actual FW800 card mitigate the 20% CPU usage?
I'm looking at this one:
TB31PCIEX16
https://www.startech.com/m/Cables/firew … NDTB1394B3

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Hey, First off RME sound amazing!

I've been having trouble too with fireface 400 x MacBook pro over Firewire/thunderbolt; high cpu usage in live on larger projects that make them unworkable; my workaround currently is not to use the interface.

So to clarify, the cpu spike is caused by the mac cpu having to process the firewire.

With this "firewire is dead" in mind, would moving to a fireface USB connection possibly ease the load on the cpu?

Cheers smile

The FireWire CPU load problem is an issue with Win 10 (this thread is about Win 10) and modern USB-C hardware, not with Macs. In contrary user reports indicate that FireWire on Macs currently works better than USB.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The FireWire CPU load problem is an issue with Win 10 (this thread is about Win 10) and modern USB-C hardware, not with Macs. In contrary user reports indicate that FireWire on Macs currently works better than USB.

Any news or more info on the Win10 firewire issue? Modern USB-C hardware only reported?
I am planning to get a new system (TB3 only) and would like to use my FF800.
Is TB3-TB2-FW800 Adapter chain still a way to go for PC?

Thanks!

Schottl wrote:
MC wrote:

Any news or more info on the Win10 firewire issue? Modern USB-C hardware only reported?
I am planning to get a new system (TB3 only) and would like to use my FF800.
Is TB3-TB2-FW800 Adapter chain still a way to go for PC?

Thanks!

I had to return a top of the line Lenovo P72 as I tried TB3 with a UAD Arrow and it was a nightmare. A combo of Windows 10, Lenovo and Universal Audio. Never again.
I also had to return to Apple a TB2 to TB3 adapter as the whole TB3-TB2-FW800 Adapter chain gave me too many clicks and pops to be usable. I returned everything and went back to using my 2008 Mac Pro 3.1 with my FF800. Still works perfect. My advice, get a Mac.

Thanks for the reply!
I hear that often, yes smile The thing is I want a portable system as I go to attend mixes regularly and do not want to go dual system (one stationary, one at home).
So far I've been running very fine with an old 2013 3rd gen i7 mobile workstation notebook, but I need more CPU power now.

I am not sure a new MacBook Pro is the way to go there. Slower CPUs, less RAM, less storage than one of those big audio notebooks.
I might be able to get by via a USB adat interface to start... but do hope the FF will work.

Has anybody heard of those Thunderbolt Cardbus boxes working? I have an old FW800 cardbus card available.

10 (edited by fl 2019-03-01 16:21:51)

I saw some articles online which suggested that for Firewire equipped machines, installing the Legacy 1394 driver from Windows 8 provides some relief. I was able to find a copy from Microsoft here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa … x?id=44219

As I am about to move from Win7 to Win10, I have hopes this will work with my Fireface 800.

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

11 (edited by Schottl 2019-03-03 13:39:59)

Thanks for your post, I assume that driver won't help for the TB connection though

VIA FIREWIRE: As for Win10, all working here fine with a FF800! Both legacy and standard driver. I had to get the latest network/wifi drivers though for smoother DPC latency performance.